real time web analytics
Report - - Minitron, Sheffield - October 2015 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Minitron, Sheffield - October 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
History

Minitron is a short culvert that lies beneath Kelham Island. The entire island on which the brewery is now located is man-made, resulting from mill race in the 12th century (around 1180) when water from the River Don was required for power. The goit was created to carry water from the River Don all the way to Lady’s Bridge, where the Town Corn Mill – which belonged to the Lord of the Manor – was located. Only a small section continues to exist today. It is rumoured that the island is named after Kellam Homer, the town’s armourer and smithy in 1637 who owned a small workshop on the land. Homer was able to expand his premises on account of the goit, as he was able to set up a waterwheel for his grinding workshop on the island. In later years the diverted section of the river was also used to supply power to a number of other metalwork factories which emerged in the same area as the former corn mill.

By the 1800’s, as the city of Sheffield expanded, the Kelham Island area and the island itself became a host for many different manufacturers. John Crowley was one notable figure who purchased the island in 1829. A small iron foundry, known as the Kelham Island Works, was constructed on the site and the premises soon became a popular producer of iron products; these ranged from things as diverse as lawn mowers, bicycles, corn grinders and decorative items. Due to the success of his business, Crowley moved to the Meadow Hall area in 1870. The site was subsequently bought by the City in the 1890s and most of the Iron Works Buildings were demolished to make way for an electricity generating station, to provide power to the City’s new tram system. During this time major changes occurred across the city and much of the original goit was redeveloped. The remaining sections were culverted over time, particularly after the 1930s when the power station was closed down, and the same buildings steadily became workshops and storage space once again. Those formers buildings now house the Kelham Island Museum and Brewery.

Our Version of Events

Like several others in Sheffield who have managed to get this explore under their belts, I’d been putting it off for a very long time. At one point I used to pass it most days of the week, but for some reason it still didn’t grab my attention enough to make it a priority. I think it’s was the scanty size of it that made me push this one under the carpet for so long. Nevertheless, one afternoon I randomly decided I really fancied seeing what it actually looked like down there. So, the very next day; a particularly rainy day at that, straight after work, I grabbed Soul, my waders and a camera and went to have a peek. When we arrived the area was still quite busy owing to the nearby pubs and coffee shops, so I can’t imagine we went unnoticed as we wadered up and climbed into the goit. Other than that, access was reasonably straightforward.

Once inside we expected the first section to be fairly easy-going, which it was. It was further on where we imagined that we would face some difficulty, in the first open section where a fair amount of foliage has grown. This too, however, was easier to get through than we’d anticipated. Before we knew it we were inside Minitron itself, and to begin with the walk was pleasant; both ankle deep and flat. As we progressed forwards though, we suddenly became very aware of the silt, and the fact that every step we took forward, the deeper it seemed to get. At this stage you couldn’t stand around too long since the silty muck held onto our waders tightly. It took some wrestling and pulling to get ourselves unstuck every now and then.

On the whole Minitron is a classic old-brick-style underworld with some contemporaneous spray-over concrete repair work, and, while it lacks any real length, its large arches are certainly something to see. The very end offers a little treat too, past the second opening, when you reach the modern diversion which leads into the River Don. At the end of this modern pipe you reach two metal gates which open out onto the river itself and from here the views are pretty cool. I’d always wondered if there was anything under the canopy-like structure by the side of the river. Now, I guess I know exactly what’s there.

Explored with Soul.

1: Entering Minitron

DSC_0573a_zpsqqk2ghp0.jpg

2: The First Open Section

DSC_0570a_zpshpxozhcb.jpg

3: The First Stone Archway

DSC_0566a_zpsvytn81fu.jpg

4: A Side Passageway

DSC_0563a_zpsn19xsl0s.jpg

5: Minitron

DSC_0522a_zpshztddfvt.jpg

6: Looking Back at the Two Arches

DSC_0524a_zpsrtmudrux.jpg

7: Soul Enjoying Himself

DSC_0531a_zpsoqf3mgcu.jpg

8: The Concrete Spray-Over Section

DSC_0534a_zps0okpfozr.jpg

9: Concrete

DSC_0554a_zpsc6w8xopq.jpg

10: The Second Open Section

DSC_0553a_zpsmk0vqgt5.jpg

11: Entering the Newer Section

DSC_0551a_zpsisnu9r8t.jpg

12: The Fall

DSC_0550a_zpssps0yk7x.jpg

13: The New Concrete Section

DSC_0536a_zpsnkpveykv.jpg

14: Trying to Dodge Many Spiders...

DSC_0538a_zpsdihbm0kb.jpg

15: The River Don

DSC_0539a_zpscaezur70.jpg

16: The Finale: The Two Gates

DSC_0544a_zpsvlhm3roy.jpg

BrainL

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report! Shame I couldn't join you on this one.. looks interesting, although I'm not sure on the spiders, I'm terrified of them buggers lol

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
Nice report! Shame I couldn't join you on this one.. looks interesting, although I'm not sure on the spiders, I'm terrified of them buggers lol

Haha, they were only in the last section, you would have been OK in the rest of it. Maybe next time you're about we'll get another one done.

Punk

Punkus Explorus
28DL Full Member
Haha, cheers mate. I was thinking of you while doing this one, in a non-strange way lol. I thought you'd like this, it's right up your street.

Thought of me?!?!
Yea, unfortunately I live in concrete country.

Richard Vaughan

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi guys, great exploration in my backyard !!! I'm researching the Kelham / Millsands Goyt particularly in relation to its flood risk. I live in Kelham Island. I am so interested to learn more about your exploration in the second open section before you entered the fall. Was there any evidence of the goyt extending parallel to Millsands in the direction of the Town Mill site / Millsands Steel works...?

I have located historical maps (1637,1736, 1737, 1771, 1795, 1808, 1822, 1823, 1832, 1838, 1863, 1873) that show outfalls to the Don close to the current "double gate outfall (Minitron) and another close to the weir at Lady's Bridge. These maps show an open water course running midway between Bridge St and Millsands before making a 90 deg. turn to join the Don at Lady's Bridge. Does this buried goyt still exist at the southern end of the second open section? If so its appears that this outfall has silted up completely and is not managed for flood prevention. I would love to learn more about your findings etc...Great stuff guys !!!