Web
Analytics
Report - - Minley Manor Home Farm - January 2020 - October 2021 | Residential Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Minley Manor Home Farm - January 2020 - October 2021

Wastelandr

Wasteland Wanderer
28DL Full Member
The History

Another one that isn't hard to find out about already, but lest we forget the past. This cracking bit of Edwardian architecture from my understanding represents an attempt to contain a farmstead as a 'model farm'; that is the farmhouse, stables, and other various functions of a farm, into a single unit rather than dispersed outbuildings. The result is a strange yet impressive building that's a mixture of manor and animal pens.

The name of this place comes in many forms. From Foxlease Farm, to Home Farm, and even erroneously as Minley Manor - yes, there's an even bigger manor by this name nearby. Whilst sources are varied, it appears to have been built either in the mid-late Victorian era, or around 1896 or the early 20thC. Maybe it was constructed in parts at different times. The model farm design was set out by Arthur Castings who was cheif draftsman of renowned architect George Devey working on the Minley estate. It housed largely cows and pigs; the cows were used for dairy, and the biproducts of cheese making, probably whey, was fed to the pigs. They must've been some pretty hench pigs. Allegedly it was still used into the 1990s although I feel like its contained farm design may not have been entirely successful and only parts were used longer-term. Besides, who would really want to have an amazing house yet have livestock peering through the windows and the smell of cow pats wafting in. The MoD owned much of the estate by the 1930s and this probably also added limitations. Sadly, the MoD applied for bulldozing rights in January of this year to make some kind of concrete tent for training exercise. Residents have objected, pointing out that formal planning application should be used instead.

The Explores

We all know what it's like having to travel to certain locations and weighing up the risk vs reward ratio of hoping you can get inside and wanting to make the trip worth it. Well in early 2020 when Covid was still only looming on the horizon of the UK, I went to check out the infamous remains of Pyestock. As a backup, I had this place lined up. It made for a great walk through what is a strange mix of pine forest and military ranges. The farm, close to the even more impressive still-used Minley Manor, was a cool sight but the fence looked as though it was the result of an arms race between owner and trespasser, with every hole appearing to be solidly patched, breached, and repatched about a thousand times. No luck here, but we did make it to Pyestock.

This year I decided to return to the area. After a nearby church being all sealed up, I was glad to find I could now access the manor. We avoided the front as at this time there was a lot of Barbour-clad hunter types having a rather large barbeque next door. After bumping into an enthusiastic couple who saw us loitering near the access point (and initially spooking me into thinking we were busted), we clambered in. Always a satisfying feeling returning somewhere to finally conquer it. The main building's roof was, for want of a better term, seriously fucked. But the rest was doing ok. The houses surrounding it were in less good nick and some entirely inaccessible due to the lack of recognisable floors. Yet, there was still quite a lot of beauty left in this elegant survival.

Wastelandr

Wasteland Wanderer
28DL Full Member

Wastelandr

Wasteland Wanderer
28DL Full Member
You captured that nicely. Looked nice when in use.
Thanks mate! It did, architecture reminds me a little of asylums of the same era