real time web analytics
General - - Mission impossible 7 filming new pics | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

General - Mission impossible 7 filming new pics

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Astonmax

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I had I trip down to the site of the filming of the new mission impossible film yesterday. This was my first visit (after seeing posts on here), I was surprised how close you can see the bridge over the Quarry, there is a public footpath right next to the site. Security has been tightened up (but still not often seen!). I got talking to one who told me he didn't know when filming would actually take place but all roads and public footpaths in the are a would be closed!!!
At the bottom of the footpath there is a area used for the crew and in it is a section of the bridge, it looks as if this is a section that may be blown off during the filming of the stunts.
Also at the top of the Quarry leading to the bridge a railway track has been laid which goes onto the bridge

Last edited by a moderator:

Purplegoat

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
was the train under real steam or is that some hollywood magic ?
Hollywood magic. From what I've heard the tender hides a diesel engine. Its probably not the safest idea to do this kind of stunt with real steam loco as high pressure boilers have a habit of exploding when they get cracked or ruptured.

stoff urbex

I hate mannequin's
28DL Full Member
Hollywood magic. From what I've heard the tender hides a diesel engine. Its probably not the safest idea to do this kind of stunt with real steam loco as high pressure boilers have a habit of exploding when they get cracked or ruptured.
your rite there would of been a huge steam explosion if it was real steam and far too dangerous , hiding a diesel in the coal tender is very interesting

stranton

subterranean explorer
Regular User
I thought it was push & release,
an uncoupled shunter behind the loco (which is a replica trailer with no engine) pushes it then brakes & the loco continues off the edge)?

stoff urbex

I hate mannequin's
28DL Full Member
I thought it was push & release,
an uncoupled shunter behind the loco (which is a replica trailer with no engine) pushes it then brakes & the loco continues off the edge)?
That is also an interesting theory, I also thought it might be a cable pull but there is no sign of that .

Davep056

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It was a replica engine that was made out of wood and had a Diesel engine in the tender. Smoke was made to come out of the chimney to give it the realistic image of a steam locomotive. It fooled a lot of people who thought it was a genuine steam loco that was crashed.

mikeholt

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I rather doubt that this was powered by a diesel engine.
A diesel engine together with the required transmission system (electric, hydraulic, or mechanical) is an expensive item to destroy in one use. The cost and complexity would be similar to building a small actual diesel locomotive.

Much more likely IMHO is that the replica engine was unpowered and simply rolled down an incline to build up the required speed. The low friction of steel wheels on steel rails allows surprising speeds to be attained, as a number of accidents on actual railways have shown.

If an initial push was needed this could be given by a road vehicle or even by a dozen men. The replica must have weighed several tons, but still a lot less than an actual engine.

Who has read this thread (Total: 246) View details