real time web analytics
Report - - Mitchell's Brewery, Lancaster (July 2016) | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Mitchell's Brewery, Lancaster (July 2016)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Idle Hands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Mitchell’s of Lancaster

IMG_0388-2brewery_zpssho0leps.jpg

Mitchell’s Brewery, once such an integral part of Lancaster’s cityscape, casts a forlorn shadow over the wasteland it sits in today. In its heyday the smell of malt being mashed filled the surrounding streets, steam billowing high above, a hive of activity. I remember that smell, living just up the hill for a while, but that’s really my only recollection. In June 1999 I left, just weeks before the brewers filled their last casks and production stopped for good.

Though the company had been founded by William Mitchell in 1865, these buildings designed by architect WA Deighton in 1901 were run by rivals Yates and Jackson until their acquisition by Thwaites in 1985, when Mitchell’s moved in from their old Church Street premises. You can see both names on the doors now as the paint flakes off.

IMG_0381-2brewery_zpscuzojqcu.jpg

The Malthouse had the capacity to produce 20,000 barrels a year yet in its final years just 7,000 were produced, reflecting the dwindling demand for the product. Real ale had an image problem, and in an era of big corporations and style-over-substance brands it was never going to end well. The demise of Mitchell’s was mirrored up and down the country, and Thwaites swooped in again to cherry-pick Lancaster Bomber for its own production lines. Mitchell’s continue to operate a successful pub chain – they just don’t brew their own anymore.

It’s funny how things change, and within a decade Lancaster had a new brewery amidst thousands of others around the country catering for the resurgent demands and once again credible – and young - image of craft beer drinkers.

Since closure the buildings have been at the centre of a bitter (no pun intended) wrangle between developers that wanted to demolish them and locals that wanted to hang on to at least some of their heritage that has otherwise been so brutally wiped from the map. Finally after several attempts English Heritage listed the Malthouse in 2011 following the discovery of Polish timbers dating back to 1750.

I’d never really given the place a second thought until I began to take an interest in the intricacies of our industrial past, and when I heard word that development was soon to start I finally got round to heading down for a visit, usual co-explorer (and avid home-brewer) in tow. It was my kind of place, like everyone had just walked out and left a fully kitted out – albeit now embellished with 17 years of decay – good old fashioned brewery behind.

IMG_0296-2brewery_zpsfkmjxlj8.jpg

IMG_0317-2brewery_zpspxeilea4.jpg

IMG_0305-2brewery_zps68r5un2b.jpg

IMG_0301brewery_zps2hdntm1c.jpg

IMG_0312-2brewery_zpsr7qwglbq.jpg

IMG_0313-2brewery_zpsbpe2l0ud.jpg

IMG_0319brewery_zpsanwubpdo.jpg

IMG_0323brewery_zpsiv13xhx0.jpg

IMG_0325brewery_zpsp33k3afw.jpg

IMG_0327-2brewery_zpslt49as4r.jpg

IMG_0329-2brewery_zpsnllouhmi.jpg

IMG_0330brewery_zps0x1yekkp.jpg

IMG_0331-2brewery_zps0uecwj8c.jpg

IMG_0333-2brewery_zpsbewrivee.jpg

IMG_0334-2brewery_zpsczwtwg6t.jpg

IMG_0339-2brewery_zpsokxa419v.jpg

IMG_0343-2brewery_zpsppafzoks.jpg

IMG_0347brewery_zpse6f3kfyr.jpg

IMG_0350-2brewery_zpsxcfuuqm7.jpg

IMG_0354-2brewery_zpsit4tsj4u.jpg

IMG_0358-2brewery_zpsekt9ddmv.jpg

IMG_0361-2brewery_zps5cbtcxqa.jpg

IMG_0364brewery_zpsmdj4dfwr.jpg

IMG_0366brewery_zpsdvel0sum.jpg

IMG_0371brewery_zpsdzebz94i.jpg

IMG_0375-2brewery_zpsutvlszxf.jpg

IMG_0377-2brewery_zpscd8udxgp.jpg

We will never see the like of this again.

Thanks for stopping by :thumb

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
Yeh great report. Interesting to see the paint peeling of the door.. Missed the best bit again tho. Pop back and hunt it out ;)

Idle Hands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Some belting shots there! Looks like the place has not changed much since I went 3 years ago.

Nope, not a well.....

Google has since clarified that there was a well under the old brewery on Church Street, which may explain why I didn't see one. I'm even more intrigued now!

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
Theres just a bit more too it than the main brewery building. Worth hunting down the rest.

Idle Hands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cheers everyone for the positive feedback (and the cryptic teaser). Appreciated as always :)