real time web analytics
Report - - Mitchell's Of Lancaster Brewery - Lancaster - July 2010 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Mitchell's Of Lancaster Brewery - Lancaster - July 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Hidden

28DL Full Member
Mitchell's Of Lancaster Brewery - Lancaster - July 2010

Visited with Host.

Today Ladies and Gentleman we will be visiting a...
DSC_0213-1.jpg

(That's a Brewery;))

But not just any brewery...
DSC_0212.jpg

(Thats Mitchells Of Lancaster Brewery;))

Well this was certainly a surprise, aswell as which we believe we are the first to report on this iconic Lancaster brewery. Credit to Host for this one, aswell as for dragging me out of bed for 3.00AM.

This started as a standard explore, we were both expecting an empty warehouse with perhaps just a couple of features left behind, which is what you would think upon entering. This fantastic building will offer you much more than that once you reach the staircase.

The History on this place is a bit sparse but a large part of the site was designed by W A Deighton in 1901. Deighton was a well-known brewery architect who was also responsible for the Grade II-listed Cook Street Brewery in Salford.

I have also learnt that Mitchell's were established in 1865.

Mitchell's of Lancaster is a well established family owned pub and hotel company, operating seven individual, quality hotels and 55 traditional inns in North Lancashire and Cumbria.

"Established for over 140 years, the company was founded by William Mitchell and is now run by the founder's great-great-grandchildren. The story goes that a chance meeting with a friend provided the money William needed to build his own brewery. Once the brewery was built, William went on to build a number of large hotels and inns, strategically sited within the Lancaster and Morecambe area. The company no longer brews its own beer, but maintains the family traditions of running good quality establishments offering an excellent range of cask ales, fine wines and home-cooked food in comfortable surroundings"

Here goes...

DSC_0210.jpg

DSC_0209-2.jpg

The ground floor isn't particularly appealing, a couple of nice little features left behind here and there and a lot of open space.

DSC_0174.jpg

There is this old Barrel Cleaning machine that was quite interesting...

DSC_0185-1.jpg
DSC_0181.jpg

DSC_0199-2.jpg

There was a also an old Barrel storage.

DSC_0189-1.jpg

DSC_0196-1.jpg
DSC_0198.jpg

However, to really get a feel for this place you need to head on upstairs...

DSC_0135-1.jpg

The top of an old hopper.

DSC_0018-1.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0011-1.jpg
DSC_0008-2.jpg

DSC_0027-1.jpg
DSC_0034-1.jpg

Down another level, more Brewery goodness.

DSC_0097.jpg

DSC_0053-2.jpg

DSC_0067.jpg

DSC_0108.jpg

DSC_0093-1.jpg
DSC_0068-1.jpg

Continued...

radioman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cracking job that! I tried it about 14 years ago now, had only been on site ten mins and security arrived, and the police :( it used to be pretty secure back then, lovely too see inside though as it has some history that place.

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cracking job that! I tried it about 14 years ago now, had only been on site ten mins and security arrived, and the police :( it used to be pretty secure back then, lovely too see inside though as it has some history that place.
This report is from 2010 so I doubt it’s still about, maybe converted by now

radioman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yeah fence is still up, and they have part used the front building as a pub,/club kanteena it's called. I've never ventured in.

scrappy

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yeah fence is still up, and they have part used the front building as a pub,/club kanteena it's called. I've never ventured in.
even back in 2010 they were both separate. that was in use when I used to go to the brewery and could watch them working in the small court yard.