Web
Analytics
Report - - Monks Park Quarry, Wiltshire, June 2013 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Monks Park Quarry, Wiltshire, June 2013


Altair

Poking holes since '84
28DL Full Member
Monks Park Quarry​

One of a number of sites visited over a weekend of mining fun with Oxygen Thief, The Franconian, PCWOX, Fazy UK, Urban Junky and Darryl. Was a nice little mooch and laughs were had at TF's expense... :D


Brief History

Monks Park was one of the last underground quarries in operation, closing in 2005. It was initially called Sumsions Monks or Monks North in 1886 by Sumsions. Later still, the mine was under the ownership of The Bath and Portland Stone Company before this later became ARC and then Hanson. The quarry was taken over by the War Department in 1937 for use as an ammunition and explosives store. However, the site was surplus to requirements in 1941 and remained unused until 1954. A two year conversion of 10 acres of the quarry, including a new reinforced lift shaft, then provided additional storage for the Royal Navy.


On with some pictures (1st four pics are from a previous visit in Oct 2012);

1.
DSC_4237_zps1095afe1.jpg


2.
DSC_4251_zpsccae515f.jpg


3.
DSC_4252_zpsdba58d11.jpg


4.
DSC_4244_zpsdd277fc8.jpg


5.
DSC_0056_zpsa1b755fe.jpg


6.
DSC_0057_zpsd678cdec.jpg


7.
DSC_0058_zps89b779a5.jpg


8.
DSC_0059_zps2b1e38fc.jpg


9.
DSC_0060_zps292d8df4.jpg


10.
DSC_0062_zpsa9c72cce.jpg


11.
DSC_0063_zps4064e4c2.jpg


12.
DSC_0064_zps8d0b0384.jpg


13.
DSC_0066_zps60ddc0a7.jpg


14.
DSC_0067_zps1fe310b3.jpg


15.
DSC_0068_zps63e65bd1.jpg


16.
DSC_0070_zpse8a245ca.jpg


17.
DSC_0071_zpsfce15980.jpg



Thanks for looking :thumb

 

Similar threads


Top