Web
Analytics
Report - - Monks Park Quarry, Wiltshire. Oct 2010 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Monks Park Quarry, Wiltshire. Oct 2010

vwdirtboy

Keeuunnntt!
28DL Full Member
#1
Monks park quarry started it's life under the name of Sumsions Monks or Monks North as it was started in 1886 by Sumsions as a Bath stone quarry, the mine then changed hands to The Bath and Portland Stone Co. who's name has since changed to ARC Stone. The mine now covers 38 acres and has 212 steps leading down, the stone being about 100’ below the ground.

In 1937 the quarry was taken over by the War Department and used as an ammunition and explosives store, although the whole area was not converted. The site became surplus in 1941 and sat empty until 1954 when a 10 acre area of the quarry was converted by the Royal Navy as an extension to the stores at Copenacre Quarry as well as Spring Quarry. The conversion took two years and during this time , 250,000 tons of waste was removed, floors laid, ceilings and pillars strengthened where necessary and engineering services installed. To make the quarry suitable for storage a new reinforced lift shaft was constructed.

The rest of the quarry which was never converted remained in it’s original stone quarry state, this half became a quarry museum for a short time before being moved to Pickwick Quarry as it was decided that the quarry would once again be put in to use for stone extraction. Hanson's then took over the lease and carried on quarrying till closure in 2008.

Since being closed 'Der pikey's' have been in and looted whatever they could carry out..



DSC_0527bcs.jpg





DSC_0533bcs.jpg





DSC_0531bcs.jpg





DSC_0539bcs.jpg





DSC_0523bcs.jpg





DSC_0512bcs.jpg





DSC_0555bcs.jpg





DSC_0562bcs.jpg





DSC_0560bcs.jpg





DSC_0574bcs.jpg





DSC_0587bcs.jpg





DSC_0566bcs.jpg





DSC_0572bcs.jpg





DSC_0604bcs.jpg





DSC_0610bcs.jpg





DSC_0586bcs.jpg





DSC_0584bcs.jpg





DSC_0576bcs.jpg





DSC_0567bcs.jpg





DSC_0573bcs.jpg





DSC_0571bcs.jpg





DSC_0565bcs.jpg





DSC_0595bcs.jpg





DSC_0563bcs.jpg





DSC_0599bcs.jpg





DSC_0561bcs.jpg





DSC_0589bcs.jpg





DSC_0590bcs.jpg





DSC_0592bcs.jpg


Thanks for looking! :D
 

Attachments

Similar threads