real time web analytics
Report - - Monkton Farleigh, Wiltshire, 1987-ish | Mines and Quarries | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Monkton Farleigh, Wiltshire, 1987-ish

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Steambod

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Awesome report. It looks quite big from the pictures :thumb

The tunnel down from Main West is about 12ft wide, the main vent duct is about 25ft wide and 15ft high, the fans are about 8-12ft diameter. There was a battery room about the size of a single garage which I didn't get a piccy of which had shelves of 10-gallon size glass batteries for the emergency lights. At one point a group I was involved with were looking at doing a sponsored walk and it was suggested doing it down the mine. I worked out that covering all the passages you could walk about 10 miles!
So, yes it is a bit big!

Steambod

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
What else you got tucked away in the drawer :p:

Love this old stuff, done some bits of MF and never tire of seeing this sort of stuff :thumb

Well, with 20/20 hindsight I'd have taken a load more but trying to get my photos sorted and scanned in: got some more interesting bits if I can find them, Torpantau tunnel in the Brecon Beacons which I went through several times in the 1980s and Box Mine about 1986, did a load of surveys of semi-derelict Transco sites/offices about 3 years ago, trouble is my photos are mainly plant and equipment. Have to get some shots of more interesting bits next time. :)