real time web analytics
Report - - More St Saviours Church - June 2012 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - More St Saviours Church - June 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Camera Shy

Old enough to know better
Regular User
Thanks to TranKmasT's excellent report,and with a fondness for photogenic churches, i thought i would visit this quick before it gets ruined as these places tend to do.....
Despite an early start on a wet and miserable day this was a nice place to explore, thanks to TranKmasT for the heads up and the inspiration to get my arse out of bed when the weather was telling me otherwise :thumb

Church History

The church was founded in 1865 and closed in October 2007
Mr James Maden Holt financed the building of St Saviours Church, Vicarage and School and during the cotton famine, creating work for many unemployed men in the area.
The architect employed by Mr Holt was E. Wyndham Tarn of London. The church, 120 ft. long and 53 ft. wide was built in the Early Pointed Gothic style from stone quarried on Mr. Holt's estate with pillars of polished red granite. Seating accommodation was provided for 1,000 people. The tower, which stands on the north side of the chancel, is surmounted by a spire 150 ft. in height. A small transept was built on the south side of the church. It was used originally as a pew for the Holt family but later the font was transferred to this chapel from its former position in the chancel. The church contains a baptistry for the immersion of adults. It is sunk in the chancel floor and is covered by an ornamental grating.

Pictures..............​

StSaviours30r.jpg

StSaviours26r.jpg
StSaviours27r.jpg

StSaviours16r.jpg

StSaviours20r.jpg

StSaviours29r.jpg
StSaviours17r.jpg
StSaviours28r.jpg

StSaviours6r.jpg
StSaviours7r.jpg

StSaviours8r.jpg