real time web analytics
Report - - Morfa Copper Works Swansea (S, Wales) 12/04/2012 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Morfa Copper Works Swansea (S, Wales) 12/04/2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

jkon2012

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Decided to have a snoop around today as id not been into this site and not seen a report on it. Theres not much to show really so il only include a few photos. This site was of specific interest to me as my grandad worked there as a young man on the locomotives delivering fuels to the site.

Here lies the remains of the Hafod Copper Works of Vivian & Sons, Grade II listed buildings. Two buildings exist on this site and a lone stack chimney. In its day it was one of the largest and most up to date industrial enterprises in Europe and by the 1840s Vivian & Sons were the largest exporters of finished copper in the UK.

British Copper Manufacturers owned the combined works from 1924 until 1928, when they were taken over by ICI, although the refining of copper had ended around 1924. The site was taken over by Yorkshire Imperial Metals, an amalgamation of I.C.I and Yorkshire Metals in 1957, the two works worked as one until closure in August 1980.

The buildings, Musgrave on left, Vivian on right and circuilar stack
448052_0b8768d8.jpg

Musgrave engine house (sorry about angle, lots of overgrowth)
DSCF3623.jpg

The John Musgrave 650 hp steam engine
DSCF3632.jpg

And how it looked in 1970
musgraveengine.jpg

The rollers it wouldhave turned
DSCF3669.jpg

DSCF3670.jpg

The Vivian engine room.
DSCF3629.jpg

Inside. pretty bare and stripped out... :-(
DSCF3646.jpg

Finaly, the lonely stack, also grade 2 listed.
DSCF3658.jpg

DSCF3657.jpg

Further on with the history and conservation of the site, Another Musgrave uniflow steam engine driving a crankshaft mounted dynamo, a very important engine, was lost because of the existence of the larger and earlier Musgrave that was meant to be preserved at the Morfa site. Here is the other Musgrave in Abercarn Tin Plate Works. Photo courtesy of Chris allen Profile for Chris Allen :: Geograph Britain and Ireland

1816137_5011e52a.jpg

Thanks for looking.
Got some other places in mind but would rather visit those accompanied....

Last edited: