real time web analytics
Report - - Morlais Tunnel - November 2018 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Morlais Tunnel - November 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mr Toaks

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi everyone,

My first post. Covered before I know but here is my report with a history of the derelict tunnel. As a very very new explorer this was a fantastic experience and looking forward to many more.

On 1st January 1873, Dowlais became the western terminus of the London & North Western Railway's branch from Abergavenny, the route having being extended piecemeal since the first section opened to Brynmawr in 1862. The company's next objective was to secure a route into nearby Merthyr Tydfil. Faced with the threat of unwelcome competition from a railway giant, the Brecon & Merthyr Railway accepted the L&NWR's offer of half the original construction costs for a joint stake in its line running around the west side of the town to enter from the south. To make sense of this arrangement, the L&NWR sought Parliamentary approval for a link between its own line at Penywern Junction and the B&M near Vaynor, authority for which was granted in July 1874.
Although less than one and a quarter miles in length, this connection demanded heavy engineering to penetrate the hill between its two ends. Half of it would pass through the two-track Morlais (or Miler) Tunnel, 1,037 yards long and 80 feet below ground at its deepest point. In charge of this undertaking for the London & North Western was civil engineer John Gardner whilst John Charles Mackay won the contract to build it.
The tunnel had to be driven through limestone and millstone grit, with three shafts sunk to expedite progress. Use of made of dynamite and the Ingersoll drill, a device worked by compressed air and operated under the direction of agent Mr Cross from Cardiff. Trials confirmed that this machine was at least three times more productive than hand drills, boring holes into the rock at a rate of 19½ inches in ten minutes. With the pilot tunnel completed, the full excavation was progressed in lengths of 20, 15 or 12 feet - depending on ground conditions - supervised by foreman miner William Jenkinson.
In December 1876, Rees Jones - one of the sinkers working on the shafts - was found guilty of stealing two waistcoats off the washing line of fellow-navvy Henry Downes and sentenced to 21 days imprisonment with hard labour.
The London & North Western's passenger trains first entered Merthyr High Street Station on 1st June 1879. To mark the tunnel's opening, the great and the good gathered at its south portal for a photograph, below a datestone inserted into the headwall.
Closure came to Morlais Tunnel on 6th January 1958. Since then, walls have been built across both entrances but with access doors and ventilation holes. Half-a-dozen cars - now burnt out - were driven into the tunnel before it was secured.
From its northern end, the tunnel curves to the south for 170 yards on a radius of about 14 chains, giving way to a long, straight section. The lining comprises masonry sidewalls - with refuges - and a brick arch. Rows of cable hangers are in situ on the east side, just above springing level.
Soon encountered is a series of five braced iron ribs, fashioned from bullhead rail and standing on stout timber baulks. These were installed to provide support to the lining. Close by is a section of arch where the west-side haunch has been significantly flattened due to ground pressure. A considerable amount of water penetrates the brickwork near this point.
The first of the three ventilation shafts is 373 yards from the north end. A deluge descends it. The others are much drier and located 593 and 790 yards in. The northern half of the tunnel is generally wet, with weep holes inserted at several locations to allow the release of water. This has contributed to the formation of substantial localised calcite deposits. Regular catchpits - no longer covered - are present along the centreline.
The three shafts remain open, the middle one having lost its original pepperpot which now languishes in the tunnel. Above ground, the protection walls have distinctive battered sides with raised square labels under the top band of brickwork. Above this is a sandstone coping carrying the domed iron grilles. The centre and south-east shafts are Grade II listed.
The stone-built north portal - bedecked in moss and saplings - looks out towards Morlais Tunnel Junction. A long retaining wall supports the west side of the approach cutting; the other has just a short triangular wing wall. The south portal is more striking but has suffered due to the effects of time and vandalism. Its headwall is now consumed by ivy but once featured a stepped parapet with dressed copings; the commemorative datestone is/was centred above the crown of the arch. If it's still there, foliage now obscures it. The face of five brick rings are apparent, with three of these being curved to add attractive architectural detailing. The wing walls step down from the portal before extending some distance into the approach cutting.

Northern Portal entrance

LRM_EXPORT_46747875867216_20181115_165803692.jpeg

LRM_EXPORT_46670401197848_20181115_165646217.jpeg

The soft right turn before the long straight to the Southern portal

LRM_EXPORT_51102372500640_20181115_190710164.jpeg

Looking back at the Northern portal

LRM_EXPORT_46298993974729_20181115_165034810.jpeg

The first ventilation shaft is literally raining constantly, spectacular to approach for the first time

LRM_EXPORT_45317802844816_20181115_163315157.jpeg

The first (and best) car remains of the perpetual and stagnant rush hour in the tunnel

LRM_EXPORT_45214390584428_20181115_163131745.jpeg

Vent shaft No 2 - best place for a selfie :-)

LRM_EXPORT_45737449065246_20181115_164029778.jpeg

LRM_EXPORT_44742149450189_20181115_162300466.jpeg

More wreckage after air shaft 2

LRM_EXPORT_46206081228142_20181115_164901897.jpeg

One of the pepper pots situated near the Brecon Mountain Railway

LRM_EXPORT_46995510869808_20181115_170211327.jpeg

Thanks for looking

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Some spot on lighting there, I really like your style! Gotta ask - what did you use to light the third shot?

Mr Toaks

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Some spot on lighting there, I really like your style! Gotta ask - what did you use to light the third shot?
Hi Brewtal (loving your reports by the way) - this was a 30s exposure and I used my 400lm bike light placed on the floor. To be honest I was very surprised with how it came out. Should also bear in mind this was only about 50m in from the southern portal so was probably blessed with a tiny bit of background light too.

Mr Toaks

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi Brewtal (loving your reports by the way) - this was a 30s exposure and I used my 400lm bike light placed on the floor. To be honest I was very surprised with how it came out. Should also bear in mind this was only about 50m in from the southern portal so was probably blessed with a tiny bit of background light too.

Sorry I mean northern portal, not southern

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Thats a great report nice one.
Glad to see someone else using a proper light ;-) I use my exposure maxx D 1800 lum on every explore, its a bit bulky but superb for lighting.

Mr Toaks

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thats a great report nice one.
Glad to see someone else using a proper light ;-) I use my exposure maxx D 1800 lum on every explore, its a bit bulky but superb for lighting.

Wow now that is a light! I think I would need sunglasses using that but a really good shout - maybe I'll get one some day when I actually have some money!! :cool::p