real time web analytics
Question - - Moston Brook Manchester | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Moston Brook Manchester

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Lee8400

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi guys im new to urbexing!
I found myself down a storm drain the otherday amazing experience very dark and eerie .
Has anyone been here.
we was walking 45 mins underground until it started smelling eggy is that normal ??

Lee8400

28DL Member
28DL Member
Just a few pics from the outing

Attachments

• IMG-20210208-WA0023.jpg
    IMG-20210208-WA0023.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG-20210208-WA0022.jpg
    IMG-20210208-WA0022.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG-20210208-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20210208-WA0004.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 24

chills

Queller of the uprising
No photos currently showing here.

Unsure how you exactly find yourself in a storm drain. The egg smell you experienced is probably sulphur from a CSO which sometimes feed into drains.

Generally worth doing a bit of research on what to know before delving into the world of drains, especially at this time of year with high water levels and rainfalls. Things can go wrong very quickly.

stranton

subterranean explorer
Regular User
Must be nice exploring drains during lockdown, while the rest of us are bored & doing close to nothing,
when will they ever learn.

paulpowers

Massive Member
Regular User
Must be nice exploring drains during lockdown, while the rest of us are bored & doing close to nothing,
when will they ever learn.

I found a little culvert under a train line when I was walking the dog
it's only about 5m long but it's the best I can do at the moment :'(

Down and beyond

The true source of englands wealth is coal
Regular User
Egg smell is hydrogen sulphide in a drain you shouldn’t really be in their if you don’t no about this , also be carful with all the rotten leaves vegetation soon can turn very nasty ! You shall find out soon enough if you say it’s dark in their you ent properly equipped and shall fall in a catch pit without seeing it , try not to hurt ya self the nhs have enough on their plate without unnecessary accidents.

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I remember that smell in that drain, but it was only in one section and it passed, best advice don't hang around too long in that one area, and try not to disturb anything underfoot too much, the drain in question is well ventilated due to a big outfall at each end, but caution is still advised, but like others are saying why even go in one right now anyway?

tallginge

more tall than ginger tho.....
Regular User
Sounds like you stumbled across a culvert that'll be on here. Brave of you to get 45mins into it during a lockdown. Or foolish - what do you think? Presumably someone knew you's were there? Sounds like it nearly went wrong. Lucky you don't like the smell of rotten eggs eh? Welcome to 28

Down and beyond

Regular User
Sounds like you stumbled across a culvert that'll be on here. Brave of you to get 45mins into it during a lockdown. Or foolish - what do you think? Presumably someone knew you's were there? Sounds like it nearly went wrong. Lucky you don't like the smell of rotten eggs eh? Welcome to 28
Foolish I say lucky them rotten eggs didn’t nock any one over into a hydro break with this weather wouldn’t stand a chance of getting them out in their 2 minutes at most of being unconscious before drowning :thumb

tallginge

more tall than ginger tho.....
Regular User
Only a fool leaves safety down to luck.....which must also mean i am a fool btw. A lucky one :p

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
@tallginge in total agreement pal! @Down and beyond if it is the culvert I think it is, then there is no such feature, and those are not really common as I have seen in the manc area or the NW as a whole, not doubting that they are used, it is just that I myself have not seen one in all my culverting/draining days. Nothing personal on mind!!!!

Down and beyond

Regular User
@tallginge in total agreement pal! @Down and beyond if it is the culvert I think it is, then there is no such feature, and those are not really common as I have seen in the manc area or the NW as a whole, not doubting that they are used, it is just that I myself have not seen one in all my culverting/draining days. Nothing personal on mind!!!!
None taken at all they are used everywhere normaly if you are in a drain encounter a wall this will be one mate it’s to restrict the water out in stages and rather than full force :thumb I have worked in drains a long time so I ent fibbing haha

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
No worries, have seen one ont' t' owld utube, but that was in wigan, BUT never and I repeat never come across one in person. How common are these things in an ordinary culvert, or CSO or drain setup? Just genuinely curious on!?

Down and beyond

Regular User
Most modern new housing estates have them before a balancing pond / lagoon , theory is when we have a real storm people go around opening them to reduce the risk of flooding / benefit you can balance water levels in a lagoon to never dry out by always holding water back for when needed “ very good for wildlife points “ government likes this :wanker

theory absolutely pointless because when it’s pouring it down this bad no one will be able to get their to use it .

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yes, I see, from a H and S standpoint surely there would be signs warning of such a item of doom or a sudden drop or something if not for people working, like everything common sense is the key I suppose. One guy I knew always insisted on taking a stout stick with him when he went draining!

Who has read this thread (Total: 186) View details