real time web analytics
Report - - Motspur Park No 2 Gasometer - January 2011 | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Motspur Park No 2 Gasometer - January 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tucker

Scallywag
28DL Full Member
Visited with Coleman.

On my daily commute home from Central London, i notice three gas holders towering over the red brick suburbia below. I'm sure they are much loved and probably as much hated by the people that live under them, but by no means can you ignore them.

5352532860_122dff249a_z.jpg

Remembering reading Loops' climb of the East Greenwich gasometer, we comtemplated the possibility of climbing the biggest at Motspur Park, around 150ft at a guess. But as is the case with these anonymous structures, there is little technical information available for specific gasometers. When was it built? How high is it? Is it disused, or is there still large volumes of gas coursing through its veins? The latter was the key for me. i dont know the score for trespassing utility sites. Sure, parts of our rail, water and eletric network of underground infrastructure are infiltrated all the time, but gasworks arent exactly hot topic on exploring fronts. Would we fail miserably, would it be worth a firm telling off? There was only one way to find out and with that we replaced cigarettes and lighters with slings and harnesses.

One thing this experience has taught me is the benefit of trees! Whether it is crossing watercourses or scaling nasty, a-bit-spiky palisade fencing, they were there for our convienience. Gas fumes were heavy in the air, the spark of passing trains illuminating the towers briefly before disappearing, leaving the gasometers silhouetted over that garish red london sky.

5352533198_7497949963_z.jpg

5352532474_ccc298b3c4_z.jpg

Graffiti decorated the base of the towers and clearly we wern't the first to make this journey. The air was still as we put on harnesses and set off for the ladder. Rain had just started to spit, but no way could it put stop to play tonight. Overcoming the amazing anti-climb ladder mechanism we soon found ourselves on a gantry that runs the outside of the tower, five sections of ladder looming above.

5351921283_622a76e3bd_z.jpg

From what i had seen from a distance, it appeared that the ladders would be caged to the top. They were, but only on one side, leaving a slippery drop to the telescopic dome on the inside.

5352534018_cb2d3aa849.jpg
5352533482_896f936174.jpg

The rain and wind got progressively worse as we gained height, but with the option to clip in a reassurance at least. The ladders were solid, as were the gantries allbeit missing the odd railing here and there. On reaching the top, the weather conditions were not what you'd exactly call perfect. The gantry was half the size of those below. Buffeted by the wind i clipped on, feeling the structure move with every gust of wind.

5351921521_9d1c1f03c6_z.jpg

I soon retreated to a lower level. The view from below was pretty much the same, and the weather was nowhere near as horrid. For these reasons my partner in crime couldnt justify climbing the last section to the top, instead climbing down a section and descending to the bottom a somewhat quicker way than using the ladders.

5352533728_8660b83cb7_z.jpg

5352530750_0860694598_z.jpg

It was no bad thing touching back down on the ground to still conditions. The camera lens was soaked with rain by this point, but it didnt matter. We did what we set out to do, and when you can pull it off without a hitch, its that little bit better! 2011 - Year of the Gasometer? Absolutely not, but highly recommended all the same :)

5352530136_4f8951dcf8_z.jpg

B

BallingCal

Any way you could help me access the site? I tried for a very long time today and have a lot of cuts from the Palisades.

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
You don"t ask for access info on a public forum that"s viewable by every man & his Dog including Secca etc or if you do ask don"t expect to receive an answer.

Palisade tends to do that which is why it"s used you"ll find ;)

B

BallingCal

You don"t ask for access info on a public forum that"s viewable by every man & his Dog including Secca etc or if you do ask don"t expect to receive an answer.

Palisade tends to do that which is why it"s used you"ll find ;)

I didn't ask for him to give me access plans or tell me how to enter - I'm not a fucking idiot. I asked if he'd help me get in, perhaps telling me through e-mail etc.

Kaplan

Procrastinator
28DL Full Member
Aw, didums... all those little cuts must have upset you...

Nice one tucker, don't recall seeing this first time round. The weather actually adds to your shots imo.

Reactions: Mic

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
I didn't ask for him to give me access plans or tell me how to enter - I'm not a fucking idiot. I asked if he'd help me get in, perhaps telling me through e-mail etc.

I doubt many people will help with that attitude, sometime you have to think out the box.

Plus posting a couple of reports may help people provide information, at the moment you could be anyone.

Boomstick84

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

One thing this experience has taught me is the benefit of trees! Whether it is crossing watercourses or scaling nasty, a-bit-spiky palisade fencing, they were there for our convienience.​

Pretty big clue right there in the report mate....

B

BallingCal

Pretty big clue right there in the report mate....

I read the report, mate.

I've since made access into the site and spent a long time in there - I was too scared to actually climb any of the silos. They are really daunting in person!

GAJ

Mr Muscle
28DL Full Member
Take a dinghy & get the best people shot ever from the flooded one. Always wanted to go back on a summers day & do that but never bothered. Don't worry about climbing them if you do that as I'll be happier seeing that than another version of the same shot at the top :thumb