real time web analytics
Report - - Mount St Marys - Leeds - June 2012 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Mount St Marys - Leeds - June 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Derphouse

"fella"
28DL Full Member
Visited on a derp day out in Leeds, accompanied by Mr Toby and GeoVdub!!

Always knew that when i got up to Leeds finally this would be top of the list. I had heard there may be a a little effort to be exerted to get in. Little, however turned out to be all i truly knew.... if i stick with a religious theme lets say an ascension and rebirth happened!!

a little history on the place, even though it is well documented (and stolen)

Mount St Mary's is one of the architectural treasures of the city of Leeds. It is a grade two listed building dating from 1853. The laying of the foundation stone was an act of faith in itself as the founders of the church, the missionary order of the Oblates of Mary Immaculate had little idea as to where the money was to be found to complete the building. The church stands high on the crest of Richmond Hill and can be seen from many parts of the city. The slope below the church had been known for hundreds of years as 'the Bank'.

For many, Mount St Mary's is the Famine Church, the original chapel was established at a time when Ireland was only beginning to recover from the Great Hunger brought on by the failure of the potato crop in successive years from 1845 to 1851. Hundreds of families, many of them suffering from the effects of starvation and 'famine fever, found some in what became Mount St Mary's parish.

The story of how the church came to be established in the first place, on the initiative of men from the neighbouring St Saviour's Anglican church who were received into the Roman Catholic Church is more than just a footnote in English Church history. These were the people who persuaded the Oblates of Mary Immaculate to establish a chapel in Richmond Street, the Bank.

It is impossible to calculate the contribution that Mount St Mary's made in creating a community out of the mass of desperate refugees who found themselves living on the Bank or in other parts of the parish. It was not just the ministrations of the clergy that went to forge this new community. It was the work carried out in caring for the sick and the poor, the setting up of the schools and the orphanage. Most of the latter work being carried out by the Sisters of the Holy Family. One must not forget either, the sodalities and societies within the parish that did so much to bind the community together. Despite the widespread poverty and deprivation that persisted so long, it became a community with a strong identity and contributed so much to the development of the city of Leeds.

The Pictures

7443381592_34cde62d62_z.jpg

7443380958_4e8a5e3a14_z.jpg

7443380352_f56d48c148_z.jpg

7443379732_d5909a0c55_z.jpg

7443377730_ffbe40ddd4_z.jpg

7443376912_20723f6ea3_z.jpg

7443375458_2face17840_z.jpg

7443373738_3b421924d2_z.jpg

7443373050_756e41785c_z.jpg

7443369988_d2fd04fa2d_z.jpg

All in all completely worth the effort!