real time web analytics
Report - - Murray Royal Hospital, Perth - April 2019 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Murray Royal Hospital, Perth - April 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Well, this has been a long time coming! Whilst living down south every time I was back home over the course of a few years my usual routine would be to have a pop at this lovely old girl (to no avail) and have a (re)visit to Sunnyside. Now I know why its barely been touched! It's a fucking nightmare to get in!!!

This place has been a thorn in my side for years, an itch that no matter how hard I scratch - nothing! For a period of time whilst guarded by security at the new hospital, you didn't have a hope in hell. I only know of a few who got it done just after closure but then the PIRs went up and she lay quiet for a long time. They were proper on it there. Even ripping a board off won't get you very far, the accessible windows are barred. But hey ho, it's not far from my folks so it was always worth a look whenever I was up. Since moving back, this has been top of the list and a few unsuccessful visits made, but finally I managed to squeeze in! :D And oh my god it was better than I could ever have imagined! Access was bait as fuck so both in and out under the cover of darkness. A lovely day of solitude!

History:

The hospital was founded by James Murray, a labourer who inherited a fortune in 1809 when his half-brother drowned in a storm which sank the ship carrying him home from India. It was in his own will that James Murray left two thirds of his estate for purpose of establishing an asylum in Perth. He stipulated verbally that the patients from the parishes that he had lived in, namely Perth, Dunbarney and Rhynd would be received at charitable rates, and that his brother John, and his heirs would be, when possible, represented on the management of the Asylum. He died in 1814.

Murray Royal Hospital, designed by the architect William Burn (1789-1870) opened in 1827 as the Murray Royal Lunatic Asylum with accommodation for 80 patients, officials and staff. The building itself is in a neo-classical style in an H plan consisting of a long south front with a central entrance pavilion and rooftop octagon. The building maximised the opportunities of its pleasant open hillside site, and was further extended by Burn in 1833. In 1848 a nearby villa was acquired and modified as accommodation for 'higher class' patients, and in 1888 new infirmary wings were added to the rear of the main building. A chapel was built in 1901, designed by Physician Superintendent Dr A.R. Urquhart it was partly built by the patients. In 1904 two new half timbered villas to accommodate patients were completed by Elco Ward. A new nurses' home was added in 1939 while further additions in the 1960s and 1970s included a new recreation hall, a geriatric unit and a day hospital.

It was designed so that 'the meanest patient could be well fed and clothed, and those among the higher classes who could pay for it were well lodged and cared for as they could be in a palace'. The aim was to provide a stable, homely environment in a spacious building that 'allowed the sun and air to enter at every window', provided plenty of room for exercise, and had views over the surrounding parkland. The hospital was to be 'sufficiently secure to prevent injury or escape' but 'free from the gloomy aspect of confinement'. This regime was relaxed compared with the usual standards of the day.

I'm going all in with this one. She is an absolute beaut so worthy of an image heavy one!

Externals taken on a different day:

uY6JxJIh.jpg

ePqc7yAh.jpg

j1ogqEth.jpg

kS7RSpMh.jpg

The most beautiful entrance hall!

85InR8Bh.jpg

nMvHXyPh.jpg

WUnd6kXh.jpg

RsymEAPh.jpg

fDKH7cEh.jpg

XXqfBvWh.jpg

SIQSQHbh.jpg

ZFVZMJeh.jpg

YwoTr1sh.jpg

de0wvn4h.jpg

0RC0ZQkh.jpg

69kA3I0h.jpg

lJbFwOdh.jpg

xCYwpo0h.jpg

6NsuIfxh.jpg

0b8tczch.jpg

Fd4jO9Ph.jpg

8Gve5uDh.jpg

ZTiWa4sh.jpg

YSfUwwnh.jpg

rfBUKa3h.jpg

DNSdRevh.jpg

RxXqxYQh.jpg

O3lZuTIh.jpg

txwRe0ah.jpg

Continued...

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
duKkVvkh.jpg

hejJa7Ch.jpg

xPJoBL4h.jpg

EvS8OILh.jpg

OAvfIa6h.jpg

TPQRV2Sh.jpg

A3gtadxh.jpg

1IeNDLmh.jpg

4jk9hl7h.jpg

BTUWYLoh.jpg

TDgntvBh.jpg

94EZumEh.jpg

2fCR4p6h.jpg

In to the tunnels:

1wc5P5eh.jpg

88nlhkGh.jpg

cLCrYfah.jpg

aLKfIRih.jpg

Turned out they went below the chapel:

RT3ao84h.jpg

No access into the chapel itself sadly! The basement:

vsXTC5gh.jpg

Clock tower:

lpzeZOph.jpg

Old tat:

dDP7kb9h.jpg

The organ pipes:

kVoaRVxh.jpg

amOaAqsh.jpg

And after a bit of squeezy slivering around below the organ pipes to where I could see a faint amount of light coming through into the darkness I managed to find a tiny hole looking into the chapel. Not a fucking chance I was backtracking to get my camera again and the hole was too small for any of my lenses so after a few attempts I managed to get a phone shot of inside the chapel:

ozLkpLHh.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Terminal Decline

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Wow. I always hoped there would be some nice old features in here but this is far exceeds my expectations. Another trip to Scotland is needed