real time web analytics
Report - - Murray Royal Hospital - Perth - July/ Aug - 2019 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Murray Royal Hospital - Perth - July/ Aug - 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Pammyj

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This has been on my list since I discovered this wonderful hobby, and after been previously let down after driving an hour in the middle of the night to meet someone who knew the way in a few months ago I was super happy to finally get this done.

History taken from Dundee Uni site.

The hospital was founded by James Murray, a labourer who inherited a fortune in 1809 when his half-brother drowned in a storm which sank the ship carrying him home from India. It was in his own will that James Murray left two thirds of his estate for purpose of establishing an asylum in Perth. He stipulated verbally that the patients from the parishes that he had lived in, namely Perth, Dunbarney and Rhynd would be received at charitable rates, and that his brother John, and his heirs would be, when possible, represented on the management of the Asylum. He died in 1814.

Murray Royal Hospital, designed by the architect William Burn (1789-1870) opened in 1827 as the Murray Royal Lunatic Asylum with accommodation for 80 patients, officials and staff. The building itself is in a neo-classical style in an H plan consisting of a long south front with a central entrance pavilion and rooftop octagon. The building maximised the opportunities of its pleasant open hillside site, and was further extended by Burn in 1833. In 1848 a nearby villa was acquired and modified as accommodation for 'higher class' patients, and in 1888 new infirmary wings were added to the rear of the main building. A chapel was built in 1901, designed by Physician Superintendent Dr A.R. Urquhart it was partly built by the patients. In 1904 two new half timbered villas to accommodate patients were completed by Elco Ward. A new nurses' home was added in 1939 while further additions in the 1960s and 1970s included a new recreation hall, a geriatric unit and a day hospital.

It was designed so that 'the meanest patient could be well fed and clothed, and those among the higher classes who could pay for it were well lodged and cared for as they could be in a palace'. The aim was to provide a stable, homely environment in a spacious building that 'allowed the sun and air to enter at every window', provided plenty of room for exercise, and had views over the surrounding parkland. The hospital was to be 'sufficiently secure to prevent injury or escape' but 'free from the gloomy aspect of confinement'. This regime was relaxed compared with the usual standards of the day.

This is now due for redevelopement into flats, though to be fair they are going to be looking onto a live mental hospital so I wouldn't fancy living there lol.

The Explore

Ended up visiting this a few times until I was happy enough with my shots. The first time I went I was in that much of a rush leaving I forgot my tripod! my shots from inside the clock tower show this, the rest are from return visits with tripod. On my last visit I could hear someone trying to break in, gladly never found my entry point. I spotted them through a window and they were masked up walking round the outside, talk about drawing attention to yourself! Anyway enjoy.

IMG_4100-HDR.jpg
IMG_4109-HDR.jpg
IMG_4259-HDR.jpg
IMG_4265-HDR.jpg
IMG_4253-HDR.jpg
IMG_4145-HDR.jpg
IMG_4150-HDR.jpg
IMG_4154-HDR.jpg
IMG_4169-HDR.jpg
IMG_4175-HDR.jpg
IMG_4163-HDR.jpg
IMG_4166-HDR.jpg