real time web analytics
Report - - My first report ; RAF Rivenhall, July 2021 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - My first report ; RAF Rivenhall, July 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Tommi

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Firstly I’m going to start by saying this is in no way a guideline for others, as this was my first ever actual planned trip, and by what I’m about to tell you, you’ll be able to cringe at my inexperience throughout.

The history of this place has been googled many times, so to save you from that I will tell you about our most troubling problem which was the quarry. Obviously I assume the site looked much different than it does now, but apparently quarry works had been roughly started since 1940 but didn’t pick up properly until 2001. In 1956 parts of the airfield were leased by Marconi Radar for the installation and testing of radar equipment, with there use ceasing as Blackwater Aggregates (the people in charge of the quarry now) gained permission to commence the excavations on part of the site. It is actually one of the largest sand and gravel quarries in the country.

1F73EA8E-C67F-4C1B-A804-8D8B982AA357.jpeg

quite beautiful if you ask me.

In terms of gear all I had was my phone, some water, and the most protective clothing I could find... shorts and a tshirt. Looking back I don’t know what I was thinking, maybe a walk in a park. But as any decent urban explorer would know, this was a poor choice of clothing and I’m sure after many more reports I’ll come back to this one ashamed.

the first and easiest thing you find at this site, is I believe one of the main hangars. The issue I had is from a distance it looks still in really good shape, so for a while we thought it was still in use and wasn’t what we was looking for. It’s obviously maintained but after scouting around we couldn’t find access in there.

44D9EC2C-C31E-4178-BFD7-A725EF598B72.jpeg

this was the outside, and the inside looks Much better but was no entrance.

B41C8472-88F5-40E7-A3A7-AD06EC1BBF5D.jpeg

We really thought we had hit the jackpot, and was getting our first taste of the adventure so whilst the morale was high we started looking around for actual buildings we could get into. The morale soon died as we spent the next 30 minutes walking in circles with no idea where to go next. The problem was that there is quite a lot of rubble where buildings used to be, and as inexperienced as we were we really thought that was all that remained of the once very active site. The only options left was to either cross the biggest quarry in the country, or turn back. And you can guess what we chose.

5A9659EF-C2EB-4939-B98D-475941FACCC5.png

In hindsight, for the experienced guys on here. You will probably be laughing at our terrible choice of route. It was unnecessarily more dangerous, but in terms of adventure, it was definitely more exciting. The fact is how we found the place was completely by chance, both of us making decisions that ultimately lead us here. I’ll be honest, it wasn’t a planned route which most of you have, we got lucky, but everything that happened lead us here.

from trekking the quarry, we made it to literally the site entrance to it, where all the active offices are. This didn’t exactly go well With us because we were definitely in a place where we shouldn’t be. Cameras galore, and big vehicles. Was just a recipe for disaster.

6E5837A2-818C-4D5B-B243-4889F5B129EB.png

After scouting around, my friends supersonic hearing heard a car which caused him to start running, where the missing braincells In me thought it was a aero plane (ironic) then before you know it I was face to face with a car. Adrenaline kicked in which as I’m writing this is now replaced with regret, as the poor choice of clothing lead to the many cuts and stings I have on my legs, and the fear of not getting caught lead us straight through stinging nettles deeper into the woods.
So you get a rough idea, on one side of the quarry is the hangar, and the other side is just basically a woodland area.

me and my friend are 26 years old, and we were currently sitting in stinging nettles, in the middle of the woods besides two quarry’s. We had no escape and no excuse. For those that don’t know, the quarry itself is obviously patrolled by security, so the idea is to avoid that which those of you with experience already know that. As we were inexperienced, we chose the hardest route possible which was straight through the quarry.

After 20 minutes of hiding, we made the decision to go further in. In all honestly I thought this was a bad idea, but this single decision was probably the one that lead us straight to it.

9BE5E711-DB59-4AFF-9DAF-A05648DC446C.jpeg

after going further in, we had lost all morale but the excitement was still there, as everyone loves a little chase. In trying to get back to the road, we was literally in the middle of no where with nothing but farms and woods around us.I really didn’t think we was near it anymore, but made the decision to check out the last little bit of woods , as it was also in the direction of heading back. My shortsighted eyesight didn’t pay off here, but as we got closer my friend suddenly was filled with excitement, there was a derelict building in the woods we was heading.

5B834DC1-D2B0-4301-9864-D06A0202AE27.jpeg

the story is basically over now, so here was the pictures I managed to get. Hopefully a bit different but you’ve probably seen most of them.

A9406105-AEF2-4C01-8866-1392175D908D.jpeg

Then as we got further in it got so much better. Sorry for the lack of knowledge of what’s what, but it’s my first report and I’m still learning the ropes.

E9D5519A-A6C8-4036-AA56-FE6BBD640928.jpeg

263E683E-992A-41E2-BCB9-6F4B0510F08F.jpeg

58B3BB8D-3347-409D-BE63-CFF225F25FBD.jpeg

it’s crazy to imagine this was once a full operational site.

9024D293-C5A6-449D-96EB-1A0451CCBBCE.jpeg

for the experienced users, you may be able to locate where I was for the photos.

851317D9-EFA0-49AE-B953-3F062CFAE4BE.jpeg

highly doubt it’s alive now

D88D55CF-A012-4D39-B3C2-DF0B2C51060C.jpeg

Rusty pipe work.

0672E0FF-69D1-4BC0-A362-342095C4CBC4.jpeg

Maybe an old library?

0C7C428A-171F-4034-80C1-4DEDFAA9C78E.jpeg

879357AF-5DED-492A-8C98-934DAC45EFBA.jpeg

One of the entrances

EC0DDE14-B3DA-439E-A4DE-2DD50A700BC9.jpeg

7F66C961-991E-4428-B8FF-51DE85BE24EF.jpeg

A sign everyone ignores.

A5B42FD3-D285-4669-A450-56F9088813ED.png

And that was pretty much all we got. If there’s more, would be interesting to know. As I said this was my first report, so I’m open to constructive criticism. I’m not sure if you all was interested in a story based report, but all in all I had a good time for my first ever actual planned trip, and look forward to more. On the way back we learned the route most people probably go, it’s 100 times safer and easier, but the kid in me probably wouldn’t of changed the way we got there. I did also have some good videos, but not sure how to post them, but anyway. Hope you all enjoy!

Attachments

• 7847CC3E-D8D7-45B4-B1AB-B1626CE170C1.png
    7847CC3E-D8D7-45B4-B1AB-B1626CE170C1.png
    242.7 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

MK83

Wife and husband
28DL Full Member
Looks like there's a few interesting bits left, shame you couldn't access the hangar. You could do some scouting on google maps/historic aerial photos first so you know roughly where the bits are that your aiming to get to and attempt to plan the easiest route to them. Although sometimes wondering around through trees and nettles is the only way to find what your looking for.

Tommi

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I’m sure in time you’ll be able to, and I did try but my map reading skills clearly lacked in this situation

there was a easier route than the trees and nettles, but we only learned this after going through them a good experience though all in all

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Great read, kept me interested till the end. Oh dear shorts & woodlands/fields, never a great mix lol. Oh well you survived and did a grand job in the end. Good 1st report. Just need a mth & yr popped in title and youre pretty much golden. Welcome to the world of posting on 28DL. Hope we see more from you. Enjoy this hobby & Im sure you will learn some lessons along the way. Regards CJ

Tommi

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great read, kept me interested till the end. Oh dear shorts & woodlands/fields, never a great mix lol. Oh well you survived and did a grand job in the end. Good 1st report. Just need a mth & yr popped in title and youre pretty much golden. Welcome to the world of posting on 28DL. Hope we see more from you. Enjoy this hobby & Im sure you will learn some lessons along the way. Regards CJ
Thank you And it’s a lesson learned definitely! Will do that now and I look forward to it. Already have planned what I want to do next, so gonna plan a bit and get to it haha

amsmtb

28DL Member
28DL Member
I grew up just up the road and spent many many hours roaming the site as kid, so sad to see so little left, can remember when marconi had the test facility their used to be covered in big lorry based radar units, used to be very active site up until around 2000

Tommi

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I grew up just up the road and spent many many hours roaming the site as kid, so sad to see so little left, can remember when marconi had the test facility their used to be covered in big lorry based radar units, used to be very active site up until around 2000
Yeah it’s a shame. Would of loved to of seen it back then