real time web analytics
General - - My search for the Luton Arches tunnels: the journey so far... | Military Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Lozarus123

28DL Member
28DL Member
Also. I’m let to believe that the bus stop inbetween command house and the shell petrol station on dock road, right next to the bus shelter adjacent to the council building car park there’s a big man hole cover - it’s welded shut.

Lewis Bianco

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Sorry for digging up old post.
Reading through Kent council website found out about tunnel network under beacon hill Chatham. Close to Luton wreck. - http://webapps.kent.gov.uk/hbsmrgatewaykent/DataFiles/Docs/AssocDoc38036.pdf

Beacon Hill Radio Station: This was the main transmitting and receiving station for the Chatham naval base from the Second World War until closure in 1982. All surface structures, with the exception of one mast and an ancillary building have been removed. However, there remains an interesting complex of shelter tunnels that appear to date from the cold war revival period in the late 1970’s.
Recommendation: Consideration for listing.”

Then have a look on google maps at beacon hill. Follow it up past the top of the hill into the newish builds in ward view just off ash tree lane. Look at the dead end. Look towards chalk bank, concrete/war time hand rails etc. I’m pretty sure that’s where the entrance is and to get to it just at the top of ash tree lane there’s a gate which I believe is the entrance.
A very interesting document I'll be sure to read through!

Lewis Bianco

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Also. I’m let to believe that the bus stop inbetween command house and the shell petrol station on dock road, right next to the bus shelter adjacent to the council building car park there’s a big man hole cover - it’s welded shut.
I am aware of those tunnels and I have explored them. Very good condition and best to be left alone.

Lewis Bianco

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The door to the short tunnel at the Luton Arches has been open for some months. Has anyone actually looked inside yet?
Yes I have. They lead into two garages that were used during WW2 for civil defence personnel. Behind the second billboard is a large archway that's been capped off with concrete cinder blocks. Nothing of interest remains in there besides leftover equipment used by the billboard people when they owned them. If I can find them, I'll upload the pictures here!

Exploring With Pride 🌈

Exploring with pride in more ways than one
28DL Full Member
Yes I have. They lead into two garages that were used during WW2 for civil defence personnel. Behind the second billboard is a large archway that's been capped off with concrete cinder blocks. Nothing of interest remains in there besides leftover equipment used by the billboard people when they owned them. If I can find them, I'll upload the pictures here!
Yea i went in the archway was a faf to wriggle through the gole and alot of effort jist for what was there lol i also did the two garage/shelters before the door was open via a hole in the side was a tramp living in there a few months ago before they boarded it back up

Exploring With Pride 🌈

Exploring with pride in more ways than one
28DL Full Member
Theres also another tunnel nearby in the carpark of some flats gose it quite far but the entrance is locked up

Lewis Bianco

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Any idea what they are I haven't found any infonon them

Any idea what they are I haven't found any infonon them
So if the flats you're referring to are the Pembroke Court ones then that whole area was once known as Clements and a large printworks was situated there. As for the tunnels, I can only assume that they were either air raid tunnels for the personnel or something else entirely. From what I've been told, there is one large cavern in the car park, a large archway that we assume cars use to drive through (A picture of this exists) which is blocked by a smooth concrete wall and a bricked up archway next to the cavern which might be a separate tunnel entrance which goes to god knows where, or more than likely is just another entrance into the cavern.

Cosmo Smallpiece

28DL Member
28DL Member
Would be nice to see those pictures! Did the garage tunnel end in solid chalk or bricked off?

Who has read this thread (Total: 615) View details