real time web analytics
Report - - N.Peal, nee Turnbulls Finishing Works, Hawick - Aug 2016 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - N.Peal, nee Turnbulls Finishing Works, Hawick - Aug 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
2-storey and attic, 8-bay, rectangular-plan office building with striking 5-stage Modern Movement water tower and single-storey sheds to NE and NW. Harled brick and red ashlar sandstone dressings. Ashlar base course, pronounced cornice to 1st floor, moulded eaves course. Regular fenestration with margined openings to all floors. Multi-pane top hopper windows, cast-iron rainwater goods. One of the more distinctive buildings related to the Hawick textile industry, the former Turnbull's office block has considerable architectural quality in terms of its detailing, and the contrast between the light render and red brick. The tower is a striking addition to the townscape and is designed in a proto-Modernist style, the earliest example of this style to appear in Hawick. It is believed to have held a water tank for sprinkler systems. Overall the office building dominates the surrounding streetscape, much of which has been redeveloped. As such the building forms important evidence of the dominance of the textile industry in the town, and the grandeur of many of the buildings associated with it.

http://www.hawick-news.co.uk/news/local-headlines/future-looks-bleak-for-another-mill-1-169087

Peal, the second best mill in town...

Stopped by on our way up to the highlands... I've had several goes at this place over the past five years and never succeeded, until now :)

I was overall quite impressed with the mill. Despite the rot and lacking any machinery (or anything at all really!) the fabric of the building was very nice indeed. Particularly lavish offices, with well proportioned rooms and some very fine woodwork, as well as a lovely mosaic floor, which I spent a few moments polishing for my photograph.

The mills tower was rather interesting, containing a lovely example of a cast iron spiral staircase. The views however were less inspiring!

DSC_0406_zps4fklyt70.jpg

DSC_0377_zpsmqzguhxp.jpg

DSC_0383_zpsqpathr8s.jpg
DSC_0395_zpslpktr4hi.jpg

DSC_0385_zpszzkp5bsk.jpg

DSC_0387_zps3tlxnzlt.jpg

DSC_0400_zpsufqzxfs8.jpg

DSC_0314_zpsywgya3ug.jpg

DSC_0317_zpshiwutdfz.jpg

Before
DSC_0330_zpsdep8fotq.jpg

After a spit and polish
DSC_0332_zpseaiycuak.jpg

DSC_0327_zpsiw1lfjbn.jpg

DSC_0335_zpsdk6waqgw.jpg

DSC_0323_zpsuzjqdfok.jpg
DSC_0341_zpskai2kygg.jpg

DSC_0336_zpsxlvekcqe.jpg

DSC_0337_zpssfojru7p.jpg

DSC_0347_zpssds6szwr.jpg
DSC_0373_zpszuv49y0h.jpg

DSC_0315_zpsjpqwaqqb.jpg

DSC_0345_zpspvwmavdi.jpg

DSC_0349_zps3kgmuzkk.jpg

DSC_0354_zpseqbttlj6.jpg

DSC_0361_zpshmeinhxd.jpg
DSC_0372_zpsfxbft9ib.jpg

DSC_0357_zpsq37z2vmu.jpg

Ooooh Hawick....:sleep
DSC_0368_zpsxo1dnzqu.jpg

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
what possible purpose could this mirror have served in this location??!

(If I've got my bearings right...) If you were sitting in the window seat, that mirror would show you any deliveries coming or going on Victoria Road, without the indignity or inconvenience of turning round maybe?

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
It was on the first story! I guess it must have been something like that... unless someone liked to catch a glimpse of their sweet reflection while gazing out the window!

It just looked very odd in the position it was in, complete with decorative ironwork on top!