real time web analytics
Report - - Napsbury Asylum February 2013 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Napsbury Asylum February 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Matt Fellsilnet

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History

Napsbury Asylum was founded in 1898 with the hospital designed in a country estate style by architect Rowland Plumbe in 1900, who also rebuilt, to his designs, the Royal London Hospital, Whitechapel in 1897. The hospital was designed for 1,205 residents, and the grounds were designed by William Goldring. Napsbury opened, following the construction of the numerous buildings and extensive grounds on June 3, in 1905. According to Middlesex County Record, the initial cost, including land and equipment, was £545,000, or £473 per bed. In 1908 Plumbe designed an extension to accommodate a further 600 patients.

During the First World War, Napsbury was used for and known as the County of Middlesex War Hospital, which tended for soldiers wounded at the Front. Following this, in the late 1920s a nurses home was also added to the site, further adding to the variety of different buildings and facilities at the site. Although Napsbury suffered some bomb damaged in the Blitz, it was in continuous use as a hospital until its closure in 1998. Due to its largely untouched parkland, Napsbury was listed by English Heritage as a Grade II Historic Park and Garden in 2001.

The explore

Day of shot 20/02/2013

I made a trip to Napsbury Asylum; it was my first time going and I spent a few hours around the place. There are 3 floors to this place with long corridors and most of the doors have been removed, right across the building. I only went to one building in Napsbury, but there is a lot to see and the building is self is really big. Most of the furniture has been removed and some of it has been thrown outside of the building, so a lot of the rooms in Napsbury are empty. I would say the high light of this place is the corridors, some times they just look like they go on for ever!

KMKYr8r.jpg

FZnYlpu.jpg

VRPJciM.jpg

Ufd30wD.jpg

py7Hd31.jpg

3ddWSNx.jpg

yogOCI4.jpg

z7GnT5w.jpg

LOkc46E.jpg

g6nYgnN.jpg

NOm1C2m.jpg

czCegGj.jpg