real time web analytics
Report - - Nash Mills - Hemel Hempstead Jan 08 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Nash Mills - Hemel Hempstead Jan 08

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

S

silversid

Firstly i'd like to say big hello to everyone, I've been lurking on the site for about a year now and i think its time to come out of the shaddows and post a report. So here goes! :thumb

Flash Earth Link:- Zoom Earth | LIVE weather map, storm tracker, rain radar

I visited here with m00f a month or so ago, after driving past it many times before and wondering if it was urbex-able! Access to the site is tricky and in public view (unless your a good swimmer) with CCTV coverage and security guard on site! Who is not just your average lazy guard, but more on this in a mo.....

Once inside the place is large, with multiple levels, and a mixture of old and new buildings literally knitted into one another! True to form we entered the building the most difficult way possible climbing like monkeys to get in. Only realising how easy access is once we were inside. (typical)

After a few hours of exploring we decided to checkout a couple buildings toward the front of the site, closer to the Guard hut. Upon entering one of the outbuildings we heard two cars pull up. one on either side of the building we were in. Being as we were so quiet i was suprised at this, but dawned on us that we'd been caught on camera.
Quickly we jumped into action to try and find a hidy-hole to avoid capture!! We were lucky to escape this time as the guard came to the adjoining room door and peered in through the appature only inches from my face!
Shaking like leaves we made a hasty exit. So if your going to take a look BEWARE security is hot and a lot of the exits are bricked up! You have been warned.

Now for some history:-

I've taken this extract from wikipedia (hope they won't mind) to give an idea of the history of Nash Mills and the sites that stood here previously to the factory that stands there today.

Nash Mill was a paper mill in Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, United Kingdom. The local residential area (Nash Mills) takes its name from the mill.

There was originally a corn-mill recorded in Domesday and belonging in the Middle Ages to the Abbey of St Albans. The mill was purchased in 1811 by John Dickinson. It had been converted to papermaking by A. Blackwell at the end of the eighteenth century and was a half mile from Dickinson's original Apsley Mill on the Grand Junction Canal. The mill-house, called Nash House, became the family home for Dickinson and his new wife Ann (nee Grover) whose father Harry Grover supported this business development through his Grover's Bank. In a very few years Nash Mill was renowned for its production of tough thin paper for Samuel Bagster's "Pocket Reference Bible". A major fire in 1813 was a setback, but, being covered by insurance, enabled redevelopment towards large scale production. John Dickinson & Co. Ltd had their Engineering Department at Nash Mills until 1888, when it was transferred to Apsley Mill. The production of fine rag paper on electrically driven machines was a successful innovation at Nash.

By the end of the nineteenth century, Nash Mill, which was small and had a reputation for independence, experienced a drop in profitability. Continuous minor changes were implemented until, in 1926 it underwent improvements with expansion, remodelling and refurbishment.

In 1999, the paper mills owned by John Dickinson in the Apsley area were closed and the land was redeveloped. The mill at Nash Mills however was sold to the international Sappi Group and continued to make paper until 2006. This mill has been closed down and subsequently sold. Redevelopment plans for housing are being publicised in September 2007.

On to the pics:-
(P.s Photography isn't one of my strong points so go easy)

NashMills1.jpg

Exterior in daylight.

NashMills2.jpg

Exterior in daylight.

NashMills3.jpg

Exterior in daylight.

NashMills4.jpg

Exterior at dusk.

NashMills5.jpg

Exterior at dusk.

NashMills6.jpg

Don't leave via one of these windows without your swinsuit handy.

NashMills7.jpg

I know, but how could we not stop for a little peek.

NashMills8.jpg

Really love this picture. Dunno why?

NashMills9.jpg

DANGER DANGER large hole in the ground!

NashMills10.jpg

Wonder how much they paid for the Agiator. Bet my Mrs could have done a better job for less ££Â£!:rolleyes:

NashMills11.jpg

Big Chain.

NashMills12.jpg

Lots of stuff like this in the Labs. Think its a moisture meter??

NashMills13.jpg

Scary Place. Bet it was dangerous in here when it was live!!!:eek:

NashMills14.jpg

The Obligitory control consoles.

NashMills15.jpg

Drawers full of stuff. Brill!

NashMills16.jpg

This was one of my favorite parts of the entire site. I wish i could live up there. You would understand if you go look for yourself!

Well i hope you enjoyed my 1st report. If I have broken any forum rules I appologise and will understand if it goes to the Recycle Bin. If any Moderators read this and would like to grant me Full Membership to the site it would me much appreciated. As i would like to post in the Leads, Rumors, and Recon section.

Regards. Sid:D

Last edited by a moderator:

cardiffrail

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Re: Nash Mills - Hemel Hempstead

This plan should help you. I photo'd it at the site, it was in the paper machine room.

P7090091.jpg