real time web analytics
Report - - Necton Diner / Service Station, Norfolk - September 2017 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Necton Diner / Service Station, Norfolk - September 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Five.Claws

General Nuisance
28DL Full Member
Location :- Sitting right at the side of the A47, in the village of the same name, between Dereham and Swaffham.

Explore :- I've been passing this place and meaning to explore it ever since it first closed up, several years back. However, it's located just out-of-the-way enough for me that I'd only ever be passing it when I had somewhere to be and times to keep. So, today, finally I decided to make the solo effort to drive out here just to check out the place... the weather was great and with the recent purchase of a shiny convertible I figured I had the perfect excuse to drop top and hit the road!

You'll see the diner/petrol station complex pretty much as soon as you pass the sign for Necton (whichever direction you're heading along the A47). It's extremely easy to get on site, with no proper fencing or barriers (if coming by car, you'll need to head into the village a little to park up though). Getting into the building itself is also easy - there's a window missing at the front, a window open at the side and a door open at the back (lots of brambles back there though).

Once inside it should prove to be a fun little explore. As is the case with many of these places, it's been roughed-up but there's still a lot of rooms to poke around with some interesting stuff left behind in. It has something of a "dual" explore about it, as apart from the diner complex downstairs, upstairs hosts what seems to be be a large living area, most likely where the proprietors lived.
On the ground floor you'll find all the old serving counters, appliances, coolers, fridges, chest freezers and an enormous amount of chairs and tables (mostly overturned but surprisingly all in decent condition). Nice little flashbacks to the building's old life still sit around on counters and strewn on the floor - empty bottles, notices, price lists, "What's On" guides - judging from the dates on these and various notices around the place, it seems this place served its last Full English Breakfast in 2010... and that would have only cost you £4, too!
Upstairs, the flat is less furnished but you'll still find the beds, old TVs and books scattered about the place.

Sadly, the petrol station at the edge of the site is locked up tight and can't be entered. Could well still be an untouched treasure trove in there!

Apart from that there's nothing spectacularly unusual to report here, but it still is a really fun way to spend an hour or more, and still plenty to see if you get a kick out of seeing once thriving little social spaces now left empty and destitute, like me. Probably the thing most of note is the incredibly creepy atmosphere around the place; as virtually none of the windows or outside doors have been boarded up and none of the doors inside locked, certain ones creak open and shut in the breeze whilst various other "old building" creaks, rattles and noises echo about the place. For a place right next to such a busy road, it feels surprisingly unsettling inside.

The site seems to have been sold off for development now - I understand this was some time ago now and as is ever the case with these places, the place is in planning limbo however I'm sure it's only a matter of time now before it's pulled down and another fascinating little bit of past Norfolk is gone... so get along and visit while you can! It's definitely worth it!

If anyone knows any more about the history of the diner, or remembers eating here, let me know in the comments below!

And now... photos:

IMG_5460.JPG

IMG_5499.JPG

IMG_5500.JPG

The diner as viewed from the old petrol station across the forecourt.

IMG_5436.JPG

IMG_5491.JPG

Serving/till area... was a nice surprise to find a little Ruth Knapple pineapple sprayed in here. (She's a street artist over in Norwich)

IMG_5485.JPG

IMG_5490.JPG

IMG_5494.JPG

If you're looking for something to do in the area, there's still plenty of leaflets about!

IMG_5495.JPG

See? And as this is Norfolk, doubt anything will have changed much in 7 years anyway. :P

IMG_5445.JPG

IMG_5454.JPG

IMG_5443.JPG

IMG_5458.JPG

IMG_5449.JPG

IMG_5462.JPG

IMG_5437.JPG

Going upstairs now...

IMG_5478.JPG

There was something oddly cosy about this room. I even sat and relaxed in the sunlight for a little while myself!

IMG_5463.JPG

IMG_5464.JPG

IMG_5470.JPG

This one bathroom had grown a mossy carpet. Why this one in particular? No idea...

IMG_5475.JPG

Back down again now, and a couple of views out:

IMG_5447.JPG

IMG_5451.JPG

Possible way in and out for the more athletically-minded, plus a view across to the fuel station.

Thanks for dropping by, and happy exploring! ^w^

Attachments

• IMG_5468.JPG
    IMG_5468.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 32

Exploring WithLiam

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
We was the first team to crack it and get in. Now it just been trashed like erne farm just up the road. It was used as a movie set so half the stuff in there was fake (when we was there the fridge was filled with fake beer )

UrbanFoxCub

Explore and love the adventure
Banned
We was the first team to crack it and get in. Now it just been trashed like erne farm just up the road. It was used as a movie set so half the stuff in there was fake (when we was there the fridge was filled with fake beer )

No you wasnt don't try to give ya self fame. You was.not the first in just coz there was no sign that anyone had been in before you doesnt mean there wasnt because there was. .

UrbanFoxCub

Banned

The beer was also just display left over from when it closed its never been used in film

UrbanFoxCub

Banned

I take it the leafleats the chairs tables windows and all the interior is fake :Not Worthy