real time web analytics
Report - - Nenthead Underground, massive Lead Mine, Deep Shafts Jan 2008 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Nenthead Underground, massive Lead Mine, Deep Shafts Jan 2008

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

xm657

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks to General Tosser for the heads up on this. Tip was spot on, the mines at Nenthead are amazing, you could spend days down here, especially with some climbing gear. I'm quite inspired to learn some abseiling and ascent skills to get down into the lower levers, although some of the shafts (pictured) were either scarily deep or seemlingly bottomless which was quite unnerving standing on slippery mud on the brink.

Thanks to Northern Exposure too, I'd planned to go in here alone over xmas, but this place is very big and potentially lethal if you get lost or fall in a shaft - so I was very pleased to have a good mate with me.

Needless to say we had a fantastic day out, and apart from the deep water in places, its actually a very pleasant environment down here. Absolutely quiet and surprising warm and insulated from the winter outside.

Ok on with the explore.

Img_2447.jpg

Img_2446.jpg

Pan1.jpg

Pan2.jpg

Pan3.jpg

Img_2425.jpg

Img_2407.jpg

Img_2406.jpg

Img_2411.jpg

Img_2422.jpg

Img_2434.jpg

Img_2410.jpg

Pan4.jpg

Img_2421.jpg

Northern Exposure takes the walk of faith.
Img_2413.jpg

D

docfunk

Re: Nenthead Underground, massive Lead Mine, Deep Shafts - REPORT - Jan 2008

As the General says it is easy to get in to the lower workings,you can climb down some of the ore shoots and there is also one of the sump shafts that you can climb down to get the rampgill levels any hoo here is a quick copy of the survey,if you want meet up I can give you a full size(A1 I think) copy, i have most of the mines in that area,having spent many,many hours down them,if you need a tour guide give me a pm
untitled.gif