real time web analytics
Report - - Neptune Yard Wallsend - 12/02/08 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Neptune Yard Wallsend - 12/02/08

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

G

geordie

right, after a few snoops around in Ponteland, Tripod and i came down to Low Walker and stumbled on this place....... well, i say stumbled the place is HUGE!!

This is what it used to look like, next door to Swan's, they were merged when the Mauritania was built. With dry docks and huge sheds and mantis cranes, it seemed the obvious choice at the time. This was the first casualty of the death of heavy industry on the tyne...... the rest inevitably will follow.
NeptuneYard.jpg

and this it it now.........

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

didnt want to step too close in here, saw a few syringes lying around outside :(

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg

fences, for the back gardens of the houses that run along the back :)

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0117.jpg

wouldnt like to do this in the dark, the ground was pitted with 'oles where the covers had been nicked....and when i stuck the camera down, this is what i got! this one that must have been about 8ft deep, it was just set into the ground like a manhole. Yikes!

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0120.jpg

the river was like glass, and the views were stunning!!

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

A winding wheel to bring ships in to the dock.... you could still see the mechanism beneath it, as below....

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0130.jpg

Wonder where THIS goes?!!!

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

And so, we found ourselves at the back end of swan's. This holds a special place for me, i grew up around here and have watched these cranes all my life, set my watch by the siren that went off for lunch and shift change from the yard!!!
It breaks my heart to see the mantis cranes with their heads bowed like this...... so, a little indulgence for me please while i post these.

Swans. High on my list i must admit, i'm itchin to get in here..... but for now, i'll look through the fence......

IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0141.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: