real time web analytics
Report - - Nestlé Tower, Croydon - Apr '13 | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Nestlé Tower, Croydon - Apr '13

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

One Flew East

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
To give it its official title this is St. Georges House, an 80 metre tall block, built 1964 and 24-odd storeys tall. The tallest in this borough, without a doubt. You can see for miles, and I'm not lying.
At first, it seemed to elude our interest but by good fortune, some determined sort had created the pathway to the viewpoint, quite recently, I imagine.
The building was the former HQ for Nestle, and then they moved to Gatwick, leaving this building to ultimately become re-modelled into flats. The office floors were stripped bare, but trace does remain of its former occupant - namely in the reception/lobby area, and also on the lift doors are vinyls depicting jolly, happy smiley people from across the globe, who've no doubt benefitted from the boundless goodwill and charity of this global company. Or not.
Oh, and there's some great big signage on the top of the building as well.

Croydon perplexes me somewhat, a great big cluster of commercial 'talls' out of the capital - I don't think that occurs anywhere else in any of the London Boroughs to the scale that it does here.
The rooftop was not the tidiest I've been on, in fact it was a mess, comparitively, (big voids and drops - why can't you just make a roof nice and uniform and flat?) but I wasn't complaining too much.
As leanrascal mentioned in his report, a couple of floors down from the roof we found two flatlets, which was slightly surreal - it was like stepping into a local-authority maisonette, but 24 floors up.

Not a white-balance heaven, what with all the orange street lighting, which you don't get in the centre of London, but hey-ho!

Big thanks to leanrascal for sourcing this one:thumb

Croydontownhalla062_zps2717ca8b.jpg

NestleacuteTowerCroydona054_zps1494f33f.jpg

NestleacuteTowerCroydona053_zps9137e1b2.jpg

NestleacuteTowerCroydona044_zpsfe4bb551.jpg

NestleacuteTowerCroydona037_zpsfbc02dee.jpg

NestleacuteTowerCroydona036_zpsd2a9fd12.jpg

Former power station, now an IKEA.....
NestleacuteTowerCroydona032_zps0b6e8baa.jpg

NestleacuteTowerCroydona026_zpsd683a375.jpg

NestleacuteTowerCroydona025_zpsdda482b8.jpg

NestleacuteTowerCroydona024_zps2990f648.jpg