real time web analytics
Report - - Nestle Coffee Factory, Hayes - March 2019 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Nestle Coffee Factory, Hayes - March 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Terminal Decline

28DL Regular User
Regular User
History

The factory was opened in 1913 by Eugen Sandow, regarded by many as the father of modern bodybuilding, of all things, who rose to prominence in the late nineteenth century and who claimed that chocolate was the source of his strength.

This business venture was to prove a failure, however, and having been taken over by Hayes Cocoa just three years later in 1916, it was then bought by Nestlé and production began in 1929.

Shortly after the takeover, Nestlé were approached by the Brazilian Coffee Institute who were looking for ways to deal with their surplus coffee supplies.

Nestlé began experimenting with ways to dry and capture the flavours of the beans, and after eight years of trial and error, the world's first instant coffee was devised and introduced to the market in 1939.

The Hayes factory was earmarked as the site that would roll the revolutionary new product off the line, and tonnes of it were sent over to troops fighting in the Second World War.

Hayes also produced some of the company's chocolate products until the end of the 1990s, when all of the factory was given over to the production of coffee.

The factory closed in 2015 as is currently under demolition to be replaced by housing, though retaining the art deco frontage

The explore

Although I was a bit late for this place, I'm glad I got to see it before any more of the buildings disappear. After a bit of searching I found a way past the fence and I was free to wander around the largely empty buildings. On with the photos...

Canteen and Admin
This was by far my favorite parts with a nice bit of decay and a few original features

_DSC1021 3.jpg

The canteen. I was disappointed to find the plaster ceiling had gone but it was still a nice space

_DSC1038 3.jpg

_DSC1047 3.jpg

_DSC1089 3.jpg

_DSC1028 3.jpg

_DSC1058 3.jpg

_DSC1086 3.jpg

One of the large rooms on the first floor. Although they had all been modernized, original features such as hardwood parquet flooring and plasterwork can still be seen

_DSC1085 3.jpg

Lovely plaster cornice hidden above modern suspended ceiling

_DSC1055 3.jpg

_DSC1064 3.jpg

_DSC1073 3.jpg

_DSC1065 3.jpg

Main Building

_DSC1074 3.jpg

_DSC1093 3.jpg

_DSC1094 3.jpg

_DSC1101 3.jpg

_DSC1113 3.jpg

_DSC1114 3.jpg

The vast majority of the main building was just a series of large stipped out spaces

_DSC1120 3.jpg

That's said there were several rooms still filled with machinery, though many were dark and not particularly interesting

_DSC1134 3.jpg

_DSC1140 3.jpg

_DSC1144 3.jpg

_DSC1149 3.jpg

_DSC1152 3.jpg

_DSC1153 3.jpg

Thanks for looking

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Bugger, I thought I'd get to see this in the end but it looks like I may be too late!

Nice spot with the cornice! And that peely light switch photo is like the golden years of Flickr Pro!

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
Ugh, these kinds of posts piss me off so much.. I mean its great you've been and can show us whats left but the urbex world is full of people begging for places to explore and that canteen building has had epic potential from day one. Its been no secret, ive mentioned it on every post i see about the place for 3 or so years and now we finally get someone whos actually keen to EXPLORE and they get there to find its a bit too late.. So frustrating.

Terminal Decline

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Ugh, these kinds of posts piss me off so much.. I mean its great you've been and can show us whats left but the urbex world is full of people begging for places to explore and that canteen building has had epic potential from day one. Its been no secret, ive mentioned it on every post i see about the place for 3 or so years and now we finally get someone whos actually keen to EXPLORE and they get there to find its a bit too late.. So frustrating.
I always wanted to get here but I live over 200 miles away and I've never really had the time to travel about (I hardly do now!). But I knew I had to fit this in when seeing Brook PS for most likely the last time. Like you say there's people asking for locations on a daily basis, but it's so frustrating when people don't put the effot in to see more of a site. It really pays off to spend time fully covering a building, rarther then just trying to get to as many locations as possible in a day and only seeing the popular areas. The Nestle factory is sadly one of the many places where we have all missed out on potential epic.

Thebfg

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Anyone who puts a false ceiling over ornate plasterwork should be shot in the face. Thanks for showing it off again! Really unsual to see that type of detail in a buliding like this. Brilliant report mate!
Whoever thought covering up period features with ceiling tiles is a muppet.

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I'm going through a similar thing at work. Factory is pre war 'saw tooth' roof and they want to put a false ceiling over it to "smarten it up" and in the process do away with the natural light it was designed to let in! My protests are not making any difference!
Sometimes it's easier to just cover it over to make the place look fresh in an attempt to appear modern. I don't agree with it but kind of understand why it's done.

darbians

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I always wanted to get here but I live over 200 miles away and I've never really had the time to travel about (I hardly do now!). But I knew I had to fit this in when seeing Brook PS for most likely the last time. Like you say there's people asking for locations on a daily basis, but it's so frustrating when people don't put the effot in to see more of a site. It really pays off to spend time fully covering a building, rarther then just trying to get to as many locations as possible in a day and only seeing the popular areas. The Nestle factory is sadly one of the many places where we have all missed out on potential epic.

That's the euro money shot attitude right there.
Corbehem in France where the popular red control room is, actually had far better stuff across the river even tho when i arrived a huge amount had been demolished. Hardly anybody looked tho.
Anyway great to see this again.

Who has read this thread (Total: 225) View details