Web
Analytics
New bunker, Somerset | Leads, Rumours and News... | 28DaysLater.co.uk

New bunker, Somerset

Steambod

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
About 5 years ago I was involved in the building of a new bunker near Langport in Somerset. Ostensibly it was for archive storage but the foot thick concrete blast doors, plant etc kinda gave it away! The bunker was supposed to be under a couple of new staff houses however latest Google Earth pics show what appears to be an agricultural building instead over the top. Construction is steel decking with 600mm concrete on top. Last time I went in there they were getting ready to fit it out, generator was in place and wiring out had started. Not sure if it was ever 100% completed as the guy went bankrupt shortly afterwards.

Attachments

Steambod

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi Guys, the site is a private estate at Long Sutton House. The owner went bankrupt owing a load of people money (including us) so I assume he no longer lives there, don't know who owns the property now. I've attached a google earth shot from June 2015 showing the place being built. For info, blast doors, explosion valves and ventilation units all by Lunor. Not sure if the photos I uploaded came through but pix of the blast door, generator room with ducts for supply and extract air, holes in walls for vent units and some shots of the main room (a bit dark as there was only site lighting at the time.) plus a couple of pix of the washing area.

Attachments

Steambod

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I've reattached the piccies & the plan of the place.

Attachments

Steambod

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks to Pirate for the more current pics. As I said, I haven't been down there since the place was almost complete. Finally managed to attach the plans of the place and a google earth shot as they were building it.
Some background: the site is about 6 miles from RNAS Yeovilton, possible nuke target? That might have persuaded the owner to come up with the scheme. The original plan was for an L-shaped reinforced building, mostly on the surface, with a 600mm thick concrete roof and 600mm block and concrete walls. This was changed about a year later to the present scheme with a couple of staff cottages on top and now almost completely underground. Part of the use plan was to have it as an archive store complete with archive quality climate control and also as an emergency bunker for the parish council.
Looking at the plan, the entrance down the main staircase brings you into the first lobby with decontamination facilities. Through the first blast door into the second lobby with generator room on your left and shower/WC on the right. Through the second blast door into a store area with the ventilation plant in a small room to your left and ahead into the main room with a server/comms room on the left and emergency exit blast door and staircase on the right opening into the outside staff toilets above.
Couple things I did notice while there was a lack of protected fuel storage for the generator (though this may have changed) and no internal water supply, just relying on the mains.

Google2.jpg
Plan.jpg