Web
Analytics
New explorer from Hampshire! | New Members Introduction | 28DaysLater.co.uk

New explorer from Hampshire!

ScruffyOtter

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi everyone! :cool:
New explorer and a complete beginner here from northern Hampshire, close to Aldershot. Been wanting to get into exploration for a long time (Been reading 28 on and off for about a year) but it's taken me this long to pluck up the courage to sign up! :oops:

I've always had an interest in old and abandoned places, particularly industrial sites and those to do with transportation and communications. I absolutely love subterranea, though underground places and those without easy access/visit permissions can be a challenge for me for reasons I'll come to.

One of the things I'm hoping to achieve through exploration is breaking some rather bad programming that holds me back a lot (Disability, sheltered upbringing, 150% compliance with law, yadda yadda) and has made exploration impossible for me in practice, even if I've been wanting to get into it for over a decade. Think of Kryten from Red Dwarf and you'll have a rough idea of what I'm getting at.

I'm also hoping that exploration might help me to develop (scuse the pun) better photography skills. I'm a total beginner in this area too, and in all honesty I barely know how to handle a smartphone camera let alone anything more advanced - My usual approach is to take 100+ photos in the hope of getting a few good ones. At present I want to see if photography is something I can really get into with the equipment and software I already have before I go headlong into a full kit-up, given proper kit is pretty expensive and I'm a man of very limited resources.

I've already gone out to explore one location close by and have a report drafted up, but I fear the photos/my editing aren't up to standard for the forum as they stand. Thankfully I'm a stickler for keeping the originals and editing copies, so it's possible for me to go back to the originals and have another go! :thumb
(One of the originals turned out much better than my attempted edit. I've attached it as an example of the best my ability gets, though I admit this shot was composed of 100% good luck and 0% skill.)
Behind the Wire (1024px)

I have explored a few places in the past before I became aware of UE as a hobby - Including the Biddles press in Guildford (Long since demolished) plus a couple of places around Aldershot and London many years back. I already have my eye on a few locations around, and with a bit of luck I might be able to get out to have a look and post some reports before too long.
Sadly I've also missed out on a lot of good places over the years. There used to be an infamous/well regarded one within walking distance of mine and I'm still kicking myself for never having the bottle to check it out!

Anyhow, that's me in a few paragraphs. I'm an absolute chatterbox offline as well as online so AIA if my posts prove to be a bit on the long side. I also have no web access at home, so I'll probably be a bit slow to pick up replies/DMs/etc.

Looking forward to meeting everyone here virtually in the beginning, and hopefully - Once the pandemic is finally under control - Maybe in person too! :cool:

chills

• Chief Noob Wrangler •
Regular User
Welcome to the site!

Have a read of the following link to help you get a feel of the site and how things work:

And have a read of this guide to help you posting a report:

There’s tonnes out there, use the search box to your aid and you may even find something in your area!

I look forward to seeing some pictures and reports soon! Just shout if you have any questions!

derelictth92

Has a weak spot for staircases
28DL Full Member
Welcome buddy I'm Tony, I assume you mean Cambridge military hospital that's almost developed now?

I'm pretty local to you (Guildford) there is quite a few places in aldershot that would allways be great little starting places and with a good mind you would be able to get some pretty cool shots. Lots on the military sites but don't step on the military ground unless you don't mind the mpgs chasing you