real time web analytics
New Member to 28DaysLater! | New Members Introduction | 28DaysLater.co.uk

New Member to 28DaysLater!

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

ef_urbex

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hello everyone!, fairly new to having an account on 28DaysLater, but not really new to the site as I've used it to find a lot of locations. I'm around the Cheshire area and would love to hear from anyone nearby! I wouldn't consider myself anywhere near an expert level but have started to rack up quite a few climbs and explorations. I've visited, Daresbury Hall, Chester Forum Shopping Center, Lostock Power Station (renovated now), Warrington Transporter Bridge and a couple more abandoned buildings which I'm not willing to disclose just yet. My main area of urbex I have previously enjoyed is tower climbs, I've climbed about 10 cell towers, some larger than others such as Pale Heights at Delamere, which i've climbed twice, not the biggest but hey it looks like a mini Eiffel tower. But I have also climbed smaller ones such as the Frodsham Beacons, which although being smaller in size, they have a great view due to being on top of Frodsham Hill.

However, due to the risk of climbing towers, regarding RF radiation, although being low on cell towers and low risk, the risk with RF isn't completely zero. Plus i've pretty much climbed all the cell towers in my area, so other towers I would have to climb are FM towers. Which I don't really fancy as in my opinion the dangers of any tower somewhat outweigh the benefits of climbing towers, as much as I love them, so I'm trying to reduce my tower climbs before my balls get fried 😂. Therefore, I would like to start climbing a couple of cranes maybe in Manchester and Liverpool. I've not really had to deal with the levels of security that may be faced in these sites with cranes as I have only explored 3 office buildings/construction buildings and have mainly dealt with alarms and cameras, with not too much security personnel and have only had two security chases. Therefore, I would love to maybe meet some people or hear some advice when it comes to climbing cranes.

But anyway, thats me I guess, I have a couple of photos on my instagram account @ef_urbex but they aren't great or that high quality posts, hence creating this account so I can try publish some higher quality reports!

Would love to hear from some of you, especially if you are from the Cheshire area or around, and hope to publish some entertaining reports on here!

Cheers!

1709736917168.jpeg

GRONK

Useful Idiot
Regular User
Welcome to 28!

I’m a fellow Cheshire boy, I doubt you’ll struggle to find places around here or indeed in the neighbouring counties.

I’d be very careful with cell towers though, I won’t go into it here as it’s covered elsewhere on the site, but even micro sites can give you lethal doses.

Looking forward to seeing your work

Last edited:

ef_urbex

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Welcome to 28!

I’m a fellow Cheshire boy, I doubt you’ll struggle to find places around here or indeed in the neighbouring counties.

I’d be very careful with cell towers though, I won’t go into it here as it’s covered elsewhere on the site, but even micro sites can be lethal doses.

Hi, have to say i’ve seen a lot of your work, explored a few of the places myself. Exact reason why i’ve stopped climbing cell towers, it’s just not worth it and like you said the FaQ page on it sums it up quite well.

Mr_E

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Welcome... towers, sheesh! I've seen a lot of youtube content on people climbing cranes, personally I think some of them have a deathwish! Stay safe

OysterJam

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Welcome mate! I used to live in Chester - has the Forum closed down now then? Would be interested in checking it out, I still have a couple of mates up there... Might go pay them a visit.

Regarding construction sites... I'm a huge construction site enthusiast. However, regarding cranes, you'll probably be quite disappointed in most cases. I'm further south now but practically every one I've checked out has some serious access prevention methods, such as a locked cage all around the outside (at the base), with fencing around the outside above the base, and cameras on the lower levels of the ladders if you do manage to get in.

On my second ever attempt at a crane I didn't even notice the camera because I was looking at my hand placement (for obvious reasons). Looked up and almost kissed the bloody thing, I was so close to it lol. Few seconds later the loudest intercom I've ever heard blared out 'YOU ARE BREAKING THE LAW AND RISKING YOUR OWN SAFETY. THE POLICE HAVE BEEN CALLED. LEAVE NOW OR BE ARRESTED.'

That being said... I was climbing up the ladder itself... On the inside. I did an external recon of the crane on the way back down and couldn't see any cameras looking outwards, so if you were going to climb up the external skeleton I doubt you'd be seen by one. I'm still new to the whole climbing thing so didn't try that myself.

With regards to security, just avoid cameras on the way in and you probably won't meet any. In my experience they just sit in their huts (if they're even present at all) with their fingers up their asses and not paying attention, and only ever do perimeter sweeps so once you're in and unseen you're all good. However, I may just be exceptionally lucky or patient, or both.

Last piece of advice regarding construction sites is something that based on your post I imagine you'd do anyway but I recommend climbing the external scaffolding for the first couple of floors, and then using the external scaffold staircases if you want to get to the top (and don't want to climb scaffold all the way up). I've noticed a few little devices that look suspiciously like motion sensors when I've used the actual internal staircases that future residents will use. I've tripped one on purpose on the way down and a couple of cars parked up next to the main entrance and side entrance a few mins later. Considering this was like 2am it was unlikely to be coincidence. But the good thing about being inside the site already is that there are hundreds of ways out, whereas the dumbass security will only be guarding the most obvious entrances in... So it's an easy escape.

If you actually do get caught (as in, caught where you can't just run and hop a fence without them seeing your face) then just be polite. You have no criminal intention and being an asshole might make them feel threatened which could lead you into criminal territory. If the police come, just be polite again and say you just wanted to take some pictures or something. No harm intended etc. etc.

OysterJam

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Also - if you want a similar thrill to a crane and also consistently easy access, I would recommend climbing one of these. For some reason they go all protection mode on cranes but not on these... All construction sites have them.

IMG_20240224_142452.jpg

ef_urbex

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Welcome mate! I used to live in Chester - has the Forum closed down now then? Would be interested in checking it out, I still have a couple of mates up there... Might go pay them a visit.

Regarding construction sites... I'm a huge construction site enthusiast. However, regarding cranes, you'll probably be quite disappointed in most cases. I'm further south now but practically every one I've checked out has some serious access prevention methods, such as a locked cage all around the outside (at the base), with fencing around the outside above the base, and cameras on the lower levels of the ladders if you do manage to get in.

On my second ever attempt at a crane I didn't even notice the camera because I was looking at my hand placement (for obvious reasons). Looked up and almost kissed the bloody thing, I was so close to it lol. Few seconds later the loudest intercom I've ever heard blared out 'YOU ARE BREAKING THE LAW AND RISKING YOUR OWN SAFETY. THE POLICE HAVE BEEN CALLED. LEAVE NOW OR BE ARRESTED.'

That being said... I was climbing up the ladder itself... On the inside. I did an external recon of the crane on the way back down and couldn't see any cameras looking outwards, so if you were going to climb up the external skeleton I doubt you'd be seen by one. I'm still new to the whole climbing thing so didn't try that myself.

With regards to security, just avoid cameras on the way in and you probably won't meet any. In my experience they just sit in their huts (if they're even present at all) with their fingers up their asses and not paying attention, and only ever do perimeter sweeps so once you're in and unseen you're all good. However, I may just be exceptionally lucky or patient, or both.

Last piece of advice regarding construction sites is something that based on your post I imagine you'd do anyway but I recommend climbing the external scaffolding for the first couple of floors, and then using the external scaffold staircases if you want to get to the top (and don't want to climb scaffold all the way up). I've noticed a few little devices that look suspiciously like motion sensors when I've used the actual internal staircases that future residents will use. I've tripped one on purpose on the way down and a couple of cars parked up next to the main entrance and side entrance a few mins later. Considering this was like 2am it was unlikely to be coincidence. But the good thing about being inside the site already is that there are hundreds of ways out, whereas the dumbass security will only be guarding the most obvious entrances in... So it's an easy escape.

If you actually do get caught (as in, caught where you can't just run and hop a fence without them seeing your face) then just be polite. You have no criminal intention and being an asshole might make them feel threatened which could lead you into criminal territory. If the police come, just be polite again and say you just wanted to take some pictures or something. No harm intended etc. etc.
Thank you very much for your advice on cranes and construction sites! I'll take it on board and hopefully hit a rooftop or crane sometime soon, I'm sure there will be a report on it for you to look out for ;) Regarding the Chester Forum, Gronk has got a very good report on it, I recommend checking it out, think hes linked it below already though!

moldandasbestos

moldandasbestos
28DL Full Member
Welcome to 28!

I’d be very careful with cell towers though, I won’t go into it here as it’s covered elsewhere on the site, but even micro sites can give you lethal doses.

Few places in Wrexham worth seeing but nothing much in Ellesmere or Chester