Web
Analytics
New Members 'Do's and Dont's' - Read this before posting! | New Members Introduction | 28DaysLater.co.uk

New Members 'Do's and Dont's' - Read this before posting!

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
Welcome along to 28dl. This thread is intended for new members (although existing members might like to take note) These are a few do's and dont's you should follow when using the site. Hopefully if you follow these it will help you to get the best from the community and help make the job of running it a bit easier

1. Do post an introduction. Tell us about yourself. Where you're from, if you have explored before, how old you are etc. You can then search other people's posts to find other explorers in your area who may want to meet or may know of interesting places. (However keep all arrangements to private message. You never know who's listening!)

2. Don't ask for places to visit. The site is not a tourist information bereau. It is here to share places and things YOU have found with the rest of the community. It is essentially a big list of places to visit so if you are looking for a few places to get you started use the search function and see what has been done recently. Sure it may not still be there but that's what exploring is all about, going into the unknown and seeing what's there. Wasted trips are all too common so best get used to it from day one! If you have a specific question e.g.. 'how did you get in' or 'is this place still here' then ask it via a private message not the main forum. Again anyone could be watching and it's annoying for everyone else.

3. Do post some reports! Contribution is king on 28. Those that genuinely explore, find interesting places and share them with the community are rewarded with access to our non-public sections which contain many of the best and most up to date places. In general you will get a much more friendly reception if you have put up a few photos and made a contribution than you will simply joining up and begging for info.

4. Don't talk or ask about specific access details or security arrangements in public. You may inadvertently give away information to the wrong people. Site owners, security companies or thieves and vandals. You may ask for information via a PM but again, don't expect much help if you are yet to offer anything to the community in return.

5. Do attend meet ups and make yourself known. Contribution to the forum is one thing but it's also helpful to actually know people. If you want to get more involved in the community get out and meet other explorers as much as you can. The more people know you the more they will trust you. We have regualr meet ups where all are welcome, use them.

6. Do post names, dates, history and information. Remember we are an exploring forum not a photography or video forum. The information contained within your post is probably more important than the photographs themselves. Posts with no information on the sites location, what it is/was or when the photos were actually take are about as useful as a chocolate teapot to the rest of the community so therefore we dont allow posts that use code names or that generally try to obscure where or what a place actually is.

Thanks for reading and hopefully you now understand what you need to do to get the most out of our community and exploring in general.

TranKmasT

"You BOY!
Regular User
The post above should be added to some kind of 'terms and conditions tick to acknowledge you've read and understood them' sort of page during the signing up process.

If only more new members took notice of things like this.
This is a great idea and could slap new members straight in the chops if they complain from start to what they signed up for. In fact why not make this system wide and send out automated eamil to ALL members, new and old, to remind them of the rules.

Speed's points 1-6 would need some condensing I fear because if you were like me, my eyes usually start to roll at the prospect of reading long disclaimers.

Also for me personally I find points 1 and 5 to be less relevant.

Maniac

rebmeM LD82
Regular User
What happened to the FAQs? Didn't that have all this in it?

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
Not sure exactly but they disappeared during an upgrade a while ago and never got replaced.

I was trying to keep it friendly really rather than an abrupt list of things people shouldn't do. I have enough hassle with people making out like im a massive dickhead for pointing out stuff like that. Needs to be here tho or how do we expect new members to know the score.

Hyde

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This is my first time posting an Urben Explore and I immediately came to read the rules. May I ask is there a limit on the amount of photographs allowed on here?
I know you probably don't want hundreds of them in a massive wall of photo's on Reports. (obviously), but I was wondering what the recomended maximum limit is i.e 30 or less, 20 or less etc.

Thank You.

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
30 is the maximum in a report, however there are very few reports that justify that amount I think. 12 good photos are far better than 30 photos of the same thing, or just bulking a report out with photos of light switches and toilets.

Welcome along :thumb

Hyde

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
30 is the maximum in a report, however there are very few reports that justify that amount I think. 12 good photos are far better than 30 photos of the same thing, or just bulking a report out with photos of light switches and toilets.

Welcome along :thumb
Thank You very much! I am a bit of a happy snapper so I'm glad I have a guideline to follow. I got some amazing photo's of this place I've been to, and I know a lot of backstory to the buiding as well as what it looked like before it was abandonned so I can't wait to post my report.

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
What you have to ask yourself is 'will anyone find this photo interesting' if the answers a yes then post it! Some sites take 100s of photos to cover fully. Others just 5 or 6 so theres no maximum limit. It pays to be a bit self critical tho. Reports full of photos of empty rooms or boring light switches don't go down too well.

Really the aim of the game is to document a place as best as you can but if the place is just a bit crap you can usually get that across in just a few shots . Generally you want some wide shots giving a sense of scale and context but also close ups of some of the more interesting details. A few external shots are good if possible but not always essential.

Making a good report is a skill in itself so it's somthing people have to learn just like learning how to find new places or access places. Your not expected to get it spot on from day one.

Hyde

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks, this may sound pretty stupid but I have no idea how to post a report. I can only see how to post a thread.
I've never used a forum for anything before so I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to navigating forums, and I want to post my report before I go on holiday if I can.
Can you tell me how I do that?
Thanks.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C New Members Introduction 3