real time web analytics
Report - - New Mills Culvert - Marsden - September 2015 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - New Mills Culvert - Marsden - September 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
New Mills Culvert - Marsden

1_zpsekyjzzww.jpg

This was another of the culverts on my tick list from over the hill in banjo country, thankfully the locals seemed fairly sedate on this visit. The culvert is approximately 140m long and starts in the centre of the tranquil Yorkshire village of Marsden, recently made famous in the Yorkshire Tea advert. it is situated downstream of Bank Bottom Culvert and it's the River Colne which runs through it. The river runs under the impressive New Mills for its entire length, areas of exposed foundations are evident throughout.

As with most culverts I started at the downstream end and worked my way upstream.

5_zpszdwg2sx2.jpg

This was another big culvert, no stooping required.

2_zpsai31dsuv.jpg

The floor and support columns for the above mill are very visible,

4_zpsvdw1xufw.jpg

A nice feeder stream comes in on the South side, this is only a short feature.

3_zpszqtgzy4o.jpg

About half way up is the great feature of a 1.5 meter high weir and an ominous dark pool below.

6_zpsc7xe71dd.jpg

It makes an interesting obstacle to bypass!

7_zpsge4dzabi.jpg

The remains of an old sluice mechanism now rusted and silted up.

8_zpsyt5lixf8.jpg

The upstream entrance comes into view all too soon.

9_zpsffh9mxur.jpg

There were some interesting sections in this final stretch, a couple of side passages which went nowhere.

10_zpsnppdadbr.jpg

The reflections at the upstream end of the culvert were fairly stunning.

11_zps9vffjnuy.jpg

Finishing off at the upstream end in the centre of Marsden.

12_zpsfmz5xady.jpg

Well that's it, Bank Bottoms little brother, not as long or as extensive, but a very pleasant stroll all the same, the weir at half way being my favourite part.

Cheers,

TLR.​

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Great stuff, did you check out the little stooper just out of frame on the right your last picture?

Cheers @jST :thumb

Is that the one inside the culverted section with the pipes coming out, if it's the one out in the open I'll have to head back!

Reactions: jST

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Yeah I spent a while in here crawling through tiny holes until Tweek informed me I was slightly in the wrong place! I did see the boiler house though and it wasn't bad to be fair...

The small offshoots are full of textile fiber from the mill above.

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Wi
One of the little offshoots goes into the boiler house. A tiny little hole just upstream from the culvert opening gets you in the mill. It's a squeezer!

Not had too many pies this time home, may have to strip off and rub myself in goose fat, if nothing else will make an interesting page 3 shot :D