Web
Analytics
New to Urban Exploring - Oxfordshire - Any advice welcome?? | New Members Introduction | 28DaysLater.co.uk

New to Urban Exploring - Oxfordshire - Any advice welcome??

DizzyWelly

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi. So I am trying to think of something to get me out safely during this latest lockdown. Fresh air, no meeting many (if any) people, sense of adventure and something that fascinates me!

I spotted an area of garden by a deserted building in Abingdon recently, so abandoned but so beautiful.....it stuck in my mind, and I just had to return a few days later with my camera, explore further/ take some images. And then it hit me....surely there are other abandoned/ derelict but beautiful places to explore, I want to find them. I started googling and found this website.

As a child I did visit many different airfields/ dromes across the country (linked to my Dad's hobby), and now I stop and think back I loved exploring the buildings on those site even then - some places were completely derelict, some it was like time had stood still - sometimes creepy but utterly amazing!

So, I need to know where to start......if you could help that would be awesome:

- Do's - how to prepare, what to take, safety measures to be aware of, access
- Don'ts - what the watch out for, how to stay safe, things to avoid, CCTV/security
- Any recommendations to start with in Oxfordshire (I probably should stay local at the moment)

I've had a look at the few threads on here, and have noted some sites - but any advice really welcome. THANK YOU!

chills

• Chief Noob Wrangler •
Regular User
Welcome to the site! It isn’t advisable to actively explore currently due to the restrictions. Just gain information and build up your list of sites ready for when things are lifted and back to normal.

Have a read of the following link to help you get a feel of the site and how things work:

And have a read of this guide to help you posting a report:

There’s tonnes out there, use the search box to your aid and you may even find something in your area!

I look forward to seeing some pictures and reports soon! Just shout if you have any questions!

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Coming from a person who lives in Oxford there isn't a great deal to see in the county, a few scattered sites but compared with other neighbouring counties it's quite sparse! There's a fair amount of old military stuff amongst what is here though..

Silentexplorers

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I agree with mookster I live in oxford and really there isnt much to see most places that were abandoned have been re developed or have decayed far too much.
Best bet is to look a bit further afield there are many great places just outside of oxford and are quite easy explores. You just need to keep your eye out when travelling around and use the internet, it's a wonderful thing!
Welcome to 28 days later. Hope you get some reports up soon! :)

DizzyWelly

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I agree with mookster I live in oxford and really there isnt much to see most places that were abandoned have been re developed or have decayed far too much.
Best bet is to look a bit further afield there are many great places just outside of oxford and are quite easy explores. You just need to keep your eye out when travelling around and use the internet, it's a wonderful thing!
Welcome to 28 days later. Hope you get some reports up soon! :)
Thank Silentexplorers. Having lived in South Oxon for more than 20 years, I've got a couple of places I have my eye on - but I'll bear in mind what you say about looking a bit further afield. I've heard theres a few good ones just over the border intto Berks

DizzyWelly

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Coming from a person who lives in Oxford there isn't a great deal to see in the county, a few scattered sites but compared with other neighbouring counties it's quite sparse! There's a fair amount of old military stuff amongst what is here though..
Thanks! Yes I did a search on this site and saw a couple of military places. I need to get going with my research - really looking forward to my first explore

DizzyWelly

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Welcome to the site! It isn’t advisable to actively explore currently due to the restrictions. Just gain information and build up your list of sites ready for when things are lifted and back to normal.

Have a read of the following link to help you get a feel of the site and how things work:

And have a read of this guide to help you posting a report:

There’s tonnes out there, use the search box to your aid and you may even find something in your area!

I look forward to seeing some pictures and reports soon! Just shout if you have any questions!
Thanks so much, all advice greatly appreciated. And yes will use this time to do some research - I have a couple of ideas locally which I might check out too.