real time web analytics
newbie- me and a few friends are starting to go on "adventures" | Kit / Clothing / Equipment | 28DaysLater.co.uk

newbie- me and a few friends are starting to go on "adventures"

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

jdow

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
me and a few friends found an old ROC bunker near sparkford(i didnt see it listed on the map btw) and decided that we would like to get into this sort of thing, what sort of equipment would you guys recomend, we wont really be filming anything and if we do we will likely use our phones but other than that what would you recomend??

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
...and a spare torch

me and a few friends found an old ROC bunker near sparkford(i didnt see it listed on the map btw)

Did you get any photos? It's on the map now btw

Last edited:

JohnSmith

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I would recommend taking a first aid kit, essential if you get into trouble where there is nobody around. Glass in window sills can slit a wrist etc very easily if you aren't careful.

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
get some sort of camera ..not a bloody mobile phone,torch(es) spare battery's common sense and stout footwear unless your climbing stuff..

Kirkymole

Banned
Banned
get some sort of camera ..not a bloody mobile phone,torch(es) spare battery's common sense and stout footwear unless your climbing stuff..
Unless it's something quite new of course, which can take cracking pics in the dark.

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Unless it's something quite new of course, which can take cracking pics in the dark.
erm no ,they really dont mate..try and light up a train tunnel with a mobile phone,doesnt matter what "mega torch" you use you just wont get anywhere near the results from a long exposure ,even a bridge camera can do this..

Kirkymole

Banned
Banned
erm no ,they really dont mate..try and light up a train tunnel with a mobile phone,doesnt matter what "mega torch" you use you just wont get anywhere near the results from a long exposure ,even a bridge camera can do this..

I wasn't really thinking for a train tunnel to be fair.

For quarries, ROC posts and general building derps my phone has been fine, but then it's got manual settings for both rear lenses as well as a host of night modes (including long exposure settings) which is a nice touch from Huawei.

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
I wasn't really thinking for a train tunnel to be fair.

For quarries, ROC posts and general building derps my phone has been fine, but then it's got manual settings for both rear lenses as well as a host of night modes (including long exposure settings) which is a nice touch from Huawei.

No doubt for some situations it is passable,but for those who like to run around backlighting and putting some effort into getting shots lit well i would have to go dslr/bridge camera..

Kirkymole

Banned
Banned
No doubt a bridge or DSLR is better for the time being, probably for the long run, but phone camera tech is moving on leaps and bounds (with Android anyway, Apple will always be a joke camera wise). I'm noticing more and more people using them and getting great results at night/underground.

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
well im going to have to agree to disagree,long exposure/tripod 3-4 minutes lighting a shot wont be replaced by a mobile phone..IMO

Yorrick

28DL Full Member
It won't be long @Wevsky.

I got a Huawei a couple of months ago.
It has three leica lenses.
Full manual settings including
Manual focus
Aperture F0.95 to F13
ISO 100 to 3200
Shutter speed from 1/4000 to 30 seconds (not enough for train tunnels but fair for most drains)
Adjustable white balance
Adjustable metering mode.
Image sizes up to 5120 x 3840 pixels
…and it shoots in RAW

My last few low light people shots have been taken with it hand held and it beats my 12 year old canon by a mile.

I’ll be taking it underground as soon as the tripod mount and bluetooth shutter release arrive

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
tag me when you post the results yorrick im keen to see how it performs,cant ever see me ditching the trusty nikon tho

Yorrick

28DL Full Member
If they're any good I will. I shan't be ditching the canon and wangle either mate