real time web analytics
Report - - Newport Transporter Bridge, South Wales, Nov 2010 | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Newport Transporter Bridge, South Wales, Nov 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

vwdirtboy

Keeuunnntt!
28DL Full Member
A few of us had been talking about this for a while all saying it needed to be done.. I'm not the worlds greatest lover of heights as some of you know. But I thought fuck it! Its got proper sound stairs going all the way!

Spungle and Rigs couldn't make the date we planned so that just left Urbanity & myself to brave the 200 or so steps..

After a slight escapade with the ladder sliding in the mud we were up and on it, a few wobbles and some 'girder clutching' and we found ourselves 240ft closer to heaven. Looking down made me feel sick and dizzy, the wind was howling and fucking freezing.. we got our shots and made a wobbly descent. within minutes of reaching old Terra firma Urbanity made for the bushes and promptly threw his guts up! Probably something to do with the under cooked chicken casserole and my bad company tho..lol! :D

History

Opened by Lord Tredegar on September the 12th 1906 the transporter was built to improve access to the east bank of the Usk where the Orb Steelworks was sited.
Closely spaced piers for a swing or lifting bridge would have hindered shipping bound for the town dock or the river wharves; An arched bridge would have been impossibly high and a tunnel too costly, so an Ariel ferry was chosen.
The Gondola is suspended from a trolley propelled by a continuous cable. This winds onto a drum driven by two 35 hp electric motors housed on the east bank.

Height of towers 242ft

Clearway between 592ft

Enjoy :D

DSC_0067.jpg

DSC_0080.jpg

DSC_0074.jpg

DSC_0082bcs.jpg

DSC_0094.jpg

DSC_0090.jpg

DSC_0087.jpg

DSC_0086.jpg

DSC_0085.jpg