Web
Analytics
Report - - Newsome Mill - Huddersfield - Feb 2016 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Newsome Mill - Huddersfield - Feb 2016



Worm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
#1
History
Newsome Mill was owned by the firm of Taylor and Littlewood from its opening in 1827 until it closed in 1983. The declining use of suits as an essential part of a man's wardrobe and the collapse of the Japanese economy,
an important export market for Taylor and Littlewood, were in part responsible for the closure.

The original mill building is a prominent feature of the Huddersfield skyline and has Grade II listed building status.
In 2008 it was included on the Victorian Society's list of ten most endangered Victorian buildings in Britain.

Newsome Mill was pioneering, in that it was not sited near running water. It was steam powered from the beginning. Rain water running off Castle Hill was piped to the mill for processes such as scouring.​

20160207-NewsomeMill-9e3bb4.jpg


20160207-NewsomeMillcbe32.jpg


20160207-NewsomeMill-13e218.jpg


20160207-NewsomeMill-2d8e5f.jpg


20160207-NewsomeMill-8d2664.jpg


20160207-NewsomeMill-4f4b2c.jpg


Newsome-1be1bc.jpg


20160207-NewsomeMill-55ef0c.jpg


Newsome-295f0e.jpg


20160207-NewsomeMill-692692.jpg


Cheers for looking :thumb
 

Attachments

Last edited:

Similar threads