real time web analytics
Report - - Newsome Mills - Huddersfield - Nov 2012 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Newsome Mills - Huddersfield - Nov 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Camera Shy

Old enough to know better
Regular User
I held off with this due to the fact there was almost one report a week from here at one time, it's been a bit quieter recently so what better time for a report from Newsome Mills !
Originally done by Tweek if my memory serves me, and a decent find it was too.

History........​

Newsome Mill was owned by the firm of Taylor and Littlewood from its opening in 1827 until it closed in 1983. The declining use of suits as an essential part of a man’s wardrobe and the collapse of the Japanese economy, an important export market for Taylor and Littlewood, were in part responsible for the closure.

The original mill building is a prominent feature of the Huddersfield skyline and has Grade II listed building status. In 2008 it was included on the Victorian Society’s list of ten most endangered Victorian buildings in Britain.

Newsome Mill was pioneering, in that it was not sited near running water. It was steam powered from the beginning. Rain water running off Castle Hill was piped to the mill for processes such as scouring.

Newsomer.jpg

Newsome-6r.jpg
Newsome-7r.jpg

Newsome-3r.jpg

Newsome-5r.jpg
Newsome-8r.jpg
Newsome-4r.jpg

Newsome-9r.jpg

Newsome-10r.jpg

Newsome-11r.jpg

Newsome-12r.jpg

Newsome-2-2r.jpg