real time web analytics
Report - - NGTE Pyestock, Fleet, April 2010 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - NGTE Pyestock, Fleet, April 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

layz

Conquistador d'Wolverton
28DL Full Member
Evening Guys,

Today Gigi and I embarked on a last minute adventure to NGTE Pyestock, as our plans to visit West Park fell through. This was my first time here, and after today’s experience I hope it won’t be my last. The highlight of the explore was bumping into some other fellow urbexers, just as I was doing a page3 shot,
The quality of the photos aren't as good as I hoped, but this was almost certainly down to a shite photographer and a bellow average tripod!

History

NGTE (National Gas Turbine Establishment) was original a secret site designed to test gas turbines, or as we know them ‘jet engines’. “V” bomber, Harrier and Tornado engines were also tested here in the various ‘cells’ of the plant. In order to simulate the conditions of a jet engine in the air and in use at say Mach 2, the test cells could be supplied with highly compressed air supplied by one of the 8 massive GEC compressors in the ‘air plant’. This plant was also able to expand air, creating a vacuum for exhaust gases in the test cells.

Each of the compressors featured a 8,000hp steam turbine at one end used as a starter, three compressors (2no low pressure and 1no high pressure) with a 36,000hp synchronous motor (the red thing) at the end. Total power input for one of the compressor sets: 44,000hp, the most powerful in Europe.

Jet engines for the Navy were harshly tested to their limits here, and soviet engines were tested in an attempt to ‘reverse engineer’ them.
Pyestock began winding down as the technology behind jet engines became more understood, and computer simulations were able to test new designs without hugely expensive test cell.

Today

Pyestock closed in 2000, and is now awaiting conversion into a business park.

29e1ea27.jpg

10b0b69c.jpg

The 8 compressors in the air plant.
faf3bfc7.jpg

All 8 compressor sets from above, each set of compressors comprises of; from left to right:
8,000hp steam turbine, 2no LP compressors, 1no HP compressor, 34,000hp motor and exciter.
86a6dbe4.jpg

9dfa5d7b.jpg

Steam supply pipe for the turbines
74e49ca5.jpg

Group shot in one of the cooling ducts
79527594.jpg

Top pipe: cooling air supply, lower pipe: engine exhaust
bc7dcfdc.jpg

split cooling air supply pipes to cell 4
74754e19.jpg

Access hatch into test cell 4
5d76a0ae.jpg