real time web analytics
Report - - Nice 'n' Steady, Sheffield, Sept - Dec 2018 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Nice 'n' Steady, Sheffield, Sept - Dec 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
fullsizeoutput_2618.jpeg

This report is the result of multiple visits by and with multiple people. Credit to @WB and @Kaplan who started looking at this brook this years ago, and @Esoteric Eric and @tallginge who have more recently been supreme drain companions in the quest to get into this previously unexplored section. This drain earns itself the name ‘Nice ‘n’ Steady’ as that’s what it is in the main - a nice, steady wander. Unless it’s raining, of course, but more of that later… You’ll have to humour me with the two part report btw, but this one has taken a while and I pretty much enjoyed every bit - finding somewhere new and not knowing what’s coming next is always best.

This is the culverted Carr Brook; a largely buried watercourse in Sheffield. It begins near Manor Top, continues under the Parkway, through Darnall, heading under the canal towards the outflow by Brightside Weir in the River Don. The Brook itself flows for about a total of about 5 miles. The main, largest section that forms the basis of this report is approximately 2 miles in length, downstream from Darnall to the Don.

The Upstream Section

I’ve already done a report on this but for the sake of completeness here’s a few pics taken on a return visit with @tallginge. This section of the Carr Brook reminds me most of a mini version of Masticator in Leeds, as it drops in and out of mini culverts along its course. I did visit the more upstream section of this but only found a Morrison’s shopping trolley wedged in an untraversable RCP, so this is as good as that bit gets…

8BD7D7AA-C896-4BE9-82D9-5C6CC68F5239.jpeg

321D3885-2A56-4E00-920F-C3C4DDB28FFE.jpeg

8ECFC6C3-4A28-4279-A132-759C89AAE621.jpeg

748EE915-C5EC-4848-AE74-4E6659E133E1.jpeg

3F81649F-C685-4D35-8792-7079BA109D4F.jpeg

p00p machine, always good...

3D7D6983-19A7-4339-8AD3-2615103FB358.jpeg

5CFD1813-5D21-40BE-96A0-8538055647BD.jpeg

B7A66D96-2810-4227-AAB2-0D5B957CFE68.jpeg

‘Nice ‘n’ Steady’ (Part 1)

Earlier visits, by us and others, have halted at the mid section due to an immovable obstacle in the form of a metal grille. Previous attempts to locate a way in here have resulted in unwanted attention, such as the time some lads started trying to sell me and @tallginge some recreational narcotics:

(Seeing us in our waders) ‘Hey lads, fishing’s cool! Want to buy some ganja?’
‘No thanks, you’re alright mate’...

A few weeks later, @tallginge headed back and found a way in. We arranged to meet and both piled into the Mystery Machine for a closer look, arriving to find that some inconveniently located building work was underway right next to the proposed access place. Of particular concern was the seemingly immovable site foreman, stood less than two metres from our access point. As he didn’t look likely to be shifting anytime soon we thought ourselves invisible and somehow slipped in undetected just behind his boots. Success!

The first bit is a st00p. As you can see, it’s handy to ascertain the size of a drain in relation to the unit of measurement known as a Tallginge (TG). This section was about two thirds of a TG, although thankfully the drain soon opened up to be a whole TG for a lot of its course.

DSC_0005.JPG

Small RCP made way for a chamber and then a small boxed section...

fullsizeoutput_240d.jpeg

Thankfully this soon opened up into brick pipe with a nice brick curvature...

DSC_0009.jpg

Intermittent concrete and brick sections, like further upstream...

DSC_0012.jpeg

Much of the rest of the tunnel featured double tunnels going in and out of chambers. This one here has the flow heading into the largest tunnel, with an overflow on the right. Not seen much like this in Sheffield before...

DSC_0027.jpeg

This was further down the overflow pipe on the right. Would be possible to go further but not happening on this occasion...

DSC_0042.jpg

Unless I have my photos muddled, this is looking back on where we came out... Having gone in a left hand pipe we ended up emerging from the one on the left. This means either the pipes cross, or this is another overflow or stream joining in... Neither is an obvious option and will need further investigation if we want to know for sure... For now, though, onwards...

DSC_0052.jpeg

Two become one... Note the bolt holes suggesting that something is missing here from the end of the pipe...

DSC_0062.jpg

Back to two again... This was the brook splitting here for a short while, joining up again on the other side...

DSC_0064.jpeg

Tallginge on lighting duties somewhere overhead...

DSC_0068.jpeg

We stopped to lick the yellow slime before moving on..

DSC_0074.jpeg

DSC_0077.jpg

DSC_0084.jpg

Just about standupable (for reference, I'm just less than one TG in height)...

DSC_0088.jpeg

DSC_0089.jpeg

Another overflow - really like the brick on the right from the overflow. Here we continued along the overflow rather than the main pipe as the overflow was more sizeable...

DSC_0094.jpeg

Inside the overflow. This is under the canal - the small pipe above featured really fast running water...

DSC_0095.jpg

DSC_0096.jpeg

Pipes getting grimy here...

IMG_2782.jpeg

This first section took us a while and both having plans for later in the evening we made our escape, locating a convenient exit point that would enable our reentry without having to renegotiate the boots of a site foreman.

When it rains…

The next visit involved us two plus @esotericeric. Unfortunately it had been raining all week, but we thought it would be interesting to take a cautious look to see what the brook does when it’s full of wet stuff. Answer: it flows fast! From the relative safety of a side overflow pipe we watched the brook flow past in two sections...

fullsizeoutput_26b7.jpeg

D145DCC6-392D-4DE0-B7D8-DC5728BBD1B2.jpeg

'Zoinks!'

Realising we weren't going any further on this occasion we made our way out for a pint or two at a conveniently located establishment...

Last edited:

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User

‘Nice ‘n’ Steady’ (Part 2)

A while later, under less wet conditions, the three of us returned... This was taken looking back from where the flow was in the penultimate pic in the thread above...

DSC_0011.jpeg

Lighting up from the overflow pipe...

DSC_0017.jpeg

After a bit of walking (and slipping around on the shiny brick) we came to this chamber with the penstock to the right...

DSC_0023.jpeg

DSC_0036.jpeg

DSC_0039.jpeg

Another chamber...

DSC_0041.jpg

Looking back...

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0045.jpg

Bit of flow from a pipe on the right...

DSC_0058.jpeg

Another nice brick chamber. Notice the long roots dangling down from the small pipe in the middle...

DSC_0071.jpeg

DSC_0072.jpg

DSC_0073.jpeg

Approaching the outfall...

DSC_0076.jpeg

DSC_0079.jpeg

The concrete outflow went straight into the river and the level was much higher here - but I managed not to breach my thigh waders by shuffling down with legs wide apart...

DSC_0080.jpeg

We emerged, unexpectedly further down the Don than we had thought.

DSC_0083.jpg

The concrete outfall can be seen here...

DSC_0088.jpeg

Our exit here had been unexpected as other info has pointed us towards another outfall further up the Don.

The Older Carr Brook outfall (‘Yoghurt Spiders’)

Previous attempts to access Carr Brook had led us to an outfall in the Don. This was initially reported by @TheWB who abandoned ship after the initial, silty brick tunnel turned concrete and small RCP. Me and @EstoericEric returned, fleeing a little further down after and encounter with some bad smells and some spiders that looked like Yoghurt Coated Peanuts with legs.

IMG_1977.PNG

IMG_1978.PNG

I returned with @tallginge more recently - we made it even further but the narrow, seemingly endless RCP was too much for us to bare, and we gave up - assuming that the culvert was just endless, boring, narrow RCP. Which begs the questions, what is the old outfall doing (if anything) and when was the brook diverted? Or has the brook always had two outfalls? Old maps aren’t much help. Maps from late 1800s and early 1900s show the Brook taking a dramatic right turn at ‘carr brook coal offices’ into a ‘watering place’, and then continuing its course to outflow at the original outflow, further north than the one we emerged from. By 1905 the watercourse is clearly culverted at the old outfall, but it's impossible to see what's happening underground. My best guess is that this section might be connected to the Penstock, but can't say for sure. Regardless, I'll end with a few pics of the old outfall...

dsc_0003.JPG

37967965455_d4674678f0_o.JPG

dsc_0008.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

38855194711_b23327a724_o.JPG

38855185911_10c17d0e39_o.JPG

DSC_0052.jpeg

Last edited:

WB

28DL Wood Burner
28DL Full Member
That's about as comprehensive as it gets for Car brook coverage. Nicely done!

Is there any way to 'operate' that penstock from above?

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Very good, I’ve been following the progress on this one and also been privy to Ginges pics and running commentary on it all.

Did you work out how come the pipe diameters are on opposing levels and sizes at each end ?

The re-jigged outfall should easily be worked out by old maps and checking plans if Tarky has been frequenting the archives. If it’s now a connecting CSO surely that can easily be ruled out by some simple recce/lid lifting above ground ?

That penstock, what’s it’s purpose? Does it serve a sewer ?

Great work and pics though with all concerned, that concrete section looked menetal when it rained.

Be good to see a map now you have enough GPS co-ords :p

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
Very good, I’ve been following the progress on this one and also been privy to Ginges pics and running commentary on it all.

Did you work out how come the pipe diameters are on opposing levels and sizes at each end ?

The re-jigged outfall should easily be worked out by old maps and checking plans if Tarky has been frequenting the archives. If it’s now a connecting CSO surely that can easily be ruled out by some simple recce/lid lifting above ground ?

That penstock, what’s it’s purpose? Does it serve a sewer ?

Great work and pics though with all concerned, that concrete section looked menetal when it rained.

Be good to see a map now you have enough GPS co-ords :p

Cheers Ojay. Haha, questions! Answers to all of those will eventually be forthcoming no doubt... more archive investigation required - the maps I've got show the old outfall appearing and the brook getting culverted further up but then need plans to check what happens underground...

The location of the penstock checks out with the course of the brook at the point at which it would likely head to the old outfall. So I THINK that the penstock marks the point at which the brook was diverted to the newer outfall. But will need plans to confirm... and, as you say, a bit of inspection...

As for the pipes, that also requires another visit to check them out - we didn't head back to that bit on the last visit once we got to the outfall as beer happened instead. Erk. And after that crawling through the smaller pipes seemed even less appealing. It will be done though, as this drain has bought up a load of questions that need working out.

I've done a crappy map, but need to neaten it up!

Who has read this thread (Total: 223) View details