real time web analytics
Night Photography | Photo Threads | Page 3 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Night Photography

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Tassadar

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
..... here's a few from the last few nights:

And finally a 1,890 second stack:

5212945690_960ee14a5a.jpg

Cleverness ,what is this 1890 second stack and how do u make stuffs like that
?

Appologies for thinkness

J4M35_UK

MEDOTDOOTC
28DL Full Member
Cheers, you basically take a load of consecutive 30 second exposures and then put them through a program called startrails.exe. It's cheating really but it gives you clearer trails with less noise. The top image is a straight 12 minute exposure.

Everyonefreezes

tinyurl.com/yzfp8dt
28DL Full Member
You can do this a lot easier than running a program.
As long as you have CS4 or above,
go on
File - scripts - statistics
then choose maximum from the scroll down bar
and then load all your pics in and photoshop will do the rest =]

And nah dude i don't think it's cheating as everything is shot in camera to be that way =]
And with moonlit shots, it'd be impossible to get such stars without doing it.

So it's fiiiiiiiiine =p

Bunk3r

28DL Memb3r
28DL Full Member
CS4 or above,

File - scripts - statistics
then choose maximum from the scroll down bar
and then load all your pics in and photoshop will do the rest =]
Thanks, thats a nice neat way of doing it, Ive only ever stacked 2 or 3 layers (and thats just been out of lazyness so i dint have to time the exposure (ie multiple 30 secs rather than bulb))and i usually post stack them in camera (its a Nikon thing ;)) but if i am going to bust some uber exposures that automated not fiddling with layers way is going to be handy, or crash my computer (i know i can brake them down into smaller chunks if needed, just saying).

Last edited:

J4M35_UK

MEDOTDOOTC
28DL Full Member
I have a canon sx1is and unless the remote shutter control can force longer exposures than 15 seconds thats the maximum I can do, is that not a bit rubbish? I think you need a fair bit longer for the really good night shoots.

Generally speaking, yes you do. But you can still do the light painting/wire wool stuff with 15 seconds so you'll be fine!

Bunk3r

28DL Memb3r
28DL Full Member
I have a canon sx1is and unless the remote shutter control can force longer exposures than 15 seconds thats the maximum I can do, is that not a bit rubbish? I think you need a fair bit longer for the really good night shoots.

read all the posts above about 'stacking' (adding together multiple consecutive exposures)

masterhalifax

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
If its a canon, you can usually turn the top dial to 'M' fully manual and turn the time to 'bulb' this will then open the shutter for as long as the shutter button is depressed, try using a locking remote for ease. this is the only way you can get a longer shutter time. read your camera manual.

Hope this makes sense

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
some very nice photos you have there mate. i especially like the underground one. Nice one :thumb

Lucid

Russian.
28DL Full Member
Lucid, I've seen a few like your first shot (the light globe). What did you use for that?

Cheers

That's called an Orb mate, if you look on Flickr and see the light painting groups there is some amazing ones on there if you want to look more into it.

the fire orb is wire wool on a stick thats been obv set on fire then waved infront of the camera using your arm as a pivot (it takes alot of practice to get it right and alot of hot shit falling on your head) you get a friend to cover the lens with abit of card or even there hand (need this so you dont get trails of light running out of shot) you then take the card/hand away and paint the rest of the shot in with a torch, simples! :D

just takes practice and patience, sometimes its not in focus either but you live and learn!

Poison Jam

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks, that sounds like fun...except for the hot shit on the head LOL
Looks like I'll be making some wool fires then.
I've seen some good images on flickr using a LED light wand. I want one of those.
PJ

Who has read this thread (Total: 318) View details