real time web analytics
Report - - Nocton Hall and RAF Nocton Hospital - Summer 2019 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Nocton Hall and RAF Nocton Hospital - Summer 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Crissisdecon

FreakyDeakyPix
28DL Full Member
Explore:
access to Nocton hall can be a bit varied, although it is not very overlooked in most parts and there doesnt really seem to be any security, the fences are well maintained and any holes are normally patched.
after a bit of walking around we managed to find easy access (albeit through a few nettles) and spent quite a long time walking around the huge hospital buildings, surrounding sheds and also Nocton hall.

the hall is in a very sorry state after a fire destroyed the majority of the building. Walking around the site is quite hazardous, with lots of holes in the floors and debris scattering the areas.
the hospital rooms are pretty much empty with only some signage and painting on the wall to indicate its origin but we didn't try them all as the buildings stretch over a 3rd of a mile!

overall a very enjoyable explore (especially when the sun had come out!) could have spent all day here but tired feet, hunger and thirst resulted in us skimming though a lot of the hospital.

History:
Nocton Hall is situated in the village of Nocton, Lincolnshire, and is a Grade II listed building. There is a plaque on the north facing wall of the hall that shows that the original building dates back to 1530, during the reign of Henry VIII, but has since been reconstructed twice with several prominent people being owners and residents of the house with the most noticeable being Frederick John Robinson, 1st Earl of Ripon who was the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom for a short while.
Before the house itself was built, the historic grounds contained a priory that was built a few hundred years earlier in the 12th century. Once the house of Nocton Hall was built in the 16h century it coexisted with the priory for some time. The remains of the priory do still exist but only as earthworks.
Originally the house was the property of Thomas Wimbishe who named the house Nocton Manor and was subsequently owned by the Towneley Family before being reconstructed by Sir William Ellis in the latter part of the 17th century. Ellis extended part of the existing manor and called the original Nocton Old Hall.
In 1834 Nocton Old Hall was burned down and the building that stands today was built in it’s place in 1841 by Frederick John Robinson, 1st Earl of Ripon. Before the most recent fire, around 1996, the house was examined revealing evidence that showed that the 1841 rebuild of the house still contained some parts of Nocton Old Hall.

RAF Hospital Nocton Hall was a 740-bed hospital that served RAF personnel based at a number of RAF stations in the area. The hospital opened it’s doors in 1947 and was used by RAF forces personnel and their families until it eventually closed it’s doors in 1983.
The hospital was situated partly on the same grounds as Nocton Hall with the hall itself being used as an officer’s mess. The hospital itself was a slightly unstable building being built from mostly wooden huts and sat on a slope making the corridors uneven.
In 1984 it was leased to the United States Air Force for use as a wartime contingency hospital. Over 1,300 US medical staff worked at Nocton Hall and the hospital during the Gulf War. Thankfully only a small number of 35 casualties needed to be treated at the hospital.
RAF Nocton Hall Hospital was handed back to Her Majesty’s Government by the USAF in September 1995 and has never been used as a hospital since; it currently stands abandoned and decaying.

DJI_0230-99.jpg

DJI_0231-100.jpg

DJI_0232-101.jpg

DJI_0235-102.jpg

DJI_0236-103.jpg

DJI_0237-104.jpg

IMG_2306-1.jpg

IMG_2307-2.jpg

IMG_2308-3.jpg

IMG_2309-4.jpg

IMG_2310-5.jpg

IMG_2311-6.jpg

IMG_2312-7.jpg

IMG_2313-8.jpg

IMG_2314-9.jpg

IMG_2316-11.jpg

IMG_2318-13.jpg

IMG_2319-14.jpg

IMG_2320-15.jpg

IMG_2321-16.jpg

IMG_2322-17.jpg

IMG_2323-18.jpg

IMG_2325-20.jpg

IMG_2326-21.jpg

IMG_2327-22.jpg

IMG_2328-23.jpg

IMG_2329-24.jpg

IMG_2330-25.jpg

IMG_2331-26.jpg

IMG_2332-27.jpg

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Fantastic report, love the drone pics too. What a site, its huge. Lovely decay shots. The lighting/colour makes the shots so beautiful, was exposure slightly minus and saturation up? Photos just fab :D

Crissisdecon

FreakyDeakyPix
28DL Full Member
All shots i do are F11, iso 100 and then shutter speed is set depending on light (sometimes i use bulb mode and paint the scene with light from my tourch). I edit all images in light room often highlights set min, shadows max, clarity max, saturation and colour up a bit and then adjust contrast and exposure to suit

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
All shots i do are F11, iso 100 and then shutter speed is set depending on light (sometimes i use bulb mode and paint the scene with light from my tourch). I edit all images in light room often highlights set min, shadows max, clarity max, saturation and colour up a bit and then adjust contrast and exposure to suit

Sounds good, I should really do mine as I shoot raw & fine. Great work. I do my clarity, saturation & colour, contrast etc but not shadows or highlights. thanks I will give that a go

EmmieExplorer

28DL Member
28DL Member
This place actually offers guided and permissioned visits. Please do not try and break on to this site. Owners do live on the site with their children.

Who has read this thread (Total: 274) View details