real time web analytics
Report - - North Eastern Mortuaries - July 2016 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - North Eastern Mortuaries - July 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ferox

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
As these are two small places I thought I'd include them both in the same report. Two cracking slabs on offer here, especially the second one. I'd wanted to see these or something like these for ages so when I came across Lavino's recent reports I knew I had a chance. Really enjoyed both places and I'm glad I made the effort. The quality, sturdiness and workmanship in these slabs is brilliant, like I say especially Maiden Law. You could rotate it with your little finger as if it had been maintained the day before. If this is smashed up during the demo it will be tragic. It really should be persevered in a museum.
Thinking about it I did see something like these at an exhibition at the IWM in London late last year but you could not even take photo's of that one let alone have a lie on it . Met two local explores in Maiden Law also. Nice to meet you two if your reading this, enjoyed the chat.
Finally a massive thanks to Lavino for the info and help. Invaluable as always. Cheers mate
default_grinning-smiley-003.gif

DURHAM COUNTY

County Hospital, Durham was a hospital in Durham City built in 1853 from public donations and subscriptions, until services were moved to Lanchester Road Hospital on the Earls House Hospital site on the outskirts of the city. The hospital was part of the Tees, Esk and Wear Valleys Foundation Trust of the NHS and in its later years provided mental health care to people from North Durham area.
The site closed in 2010 following completion of the new £24 million Lanchester Road Hospital on the Earls House Hospital site. Since 2010 the site has remained vacant. In 2014 planning permission was sought to demolish extensions and return the main building back to its Victorian state and named "Viaduct Court". With a new building of a large block of halls on the South West side, it is proposed the site will house 440 students. The plans for the new building are being referred to as "New Hall".

27702548163_60f9381b29_b.jpg

28284170016_0973d68e0f_z.jpg

27702213544_5a5b90938d_b.jpg

28318324615_52b3835401_z.jpg

27702515683_522f378cdd_z.jpg

MAIDEN LAW

Early in 1902 the Medical Officer of Health for Consett, Dr. A. D. M. MacIntyre, being worried about the possibility of an outbreak of Smallpox in the area, suggested in his annual report that the Lanchester Joint Hospital Board should provide a special Hospital in some central position exclusively for the isolation of this disease. Chaos due to cross infection would result if cases of Scarlet Fever and Small pox were congregated together in one ward. To the Board’s credit, prompt action ensued. Within a year, in 1903, a permanent Smallpox Hospital, known as Howden Bank or Maiden Law Smallpox Hospital had been erected at Mawsfield, Maiden Law. This was a galvanised iron building on the opposite side of the road to the present Sanitorium. In this instance combined Medical foresight and administrative action was rewarded because in 1903 an outbreak of twenty-two cases of Smallpox occurred and these were removed directly to the new Hospital.

In 1906 Tuberculosis was a major problem in Consett. Great difficulty occurred in admitting cases to Stanhope Sanitorium, which was at that time the nearest establishment for this disease. It was hoped that the County Authorities would undertake the erection of a local public Sanitorium. By 1906 the Smallpox epidemic having subsided, the vacant Howden Bank Smallpox Hospital was temporarily converted to a small Sanitorium and this afforded an interim solution to the problem. Patients on admission were obliged to pay 12s. 6d. a week, as a proportion of the cost of treatment.

Between the two wars Howden Bank reverted to its original use for Smallpox cases. After the Second World War, with the virtual disappearance of Smallpox, the Hospital was sold to Laing & Co. and was used as a clothing factory. While in use in this capacity, the building was destroyed by fire.
To summarise the situation in Consett and district so far, there existed by 1910 a Workhouse Hospital at Lanchester, an Iron Company Infirmary at Consett, an Isolation Hospital at Leadgate (Villa Real), and Howden Bank Smallpox Hospital and a Sanitorium. It is difficult to realise that just over fifty years ago, Consett, with its population of 30,000 had still no facilities for Surgical or Hospital Maternity work, and had to rely on transfer of cases to either Newcastle or Durham

28522426215_22b38c9151_z.jpg

28238817930_04a5b5001a_z.jpg

28238788830_1243508b9b_z.jpg

28416523142_cd3946281b_b.jpg

28522239185_4a94d5775a_z.jpg

27905892544_a1fb8812f3_b.jpg

Thanks For Looking View attachment 693738

More pics on my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/135648593@N02/albums/72157670987143696

https://www.flickr.com/photos/135648593@N02/albums/72157671499674925

Lavino

28DL Full Member
Great stuff mate. You did a excellent report of the places. They great looking slabs.

Ferox

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great stuff mate. You did a excellent report of the places. They great looking slabs.

Thank you mate and indeed they are. I'm really gald I got to see them and your help made it alot easier :thumb

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I liked to explore mortuaries, alone, and at the dead of night. Something about mortuaries that makes them more interesting than other parts of the hospital.

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
It's kind of strange that two popped up within a few miles of each other like that.

Ferox

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thought the same myself when I found out the locations for these two. For both to be open at the same time was to good to miss.