real time web analytics
Report - - North Selby Mine, Yorkshire - 2012 - 2013 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - North Selby Mine, Yorkshire - 2012 - 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Miss.Industrial

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I first visited the Selby Complex in 2005 and was struck by how modern the complex was its size and the sheer effort and engineering that went into its construction. Since then I have made many visits each time seeing a little bit more of what was once the Jewel in the crown of the British mining industry.

It can be difficult to chart the individual history of the Selby pits, but North Selby was the northern most pit in the coalfield and had the deepest shafts reaching 1040 meters. As the most outlying of the Selby pits it was one of the first threatened with closure. Some sources suggest Whitemoor and North Selby had their cards marked for closure as early as 1992. Despite Whitemoor being the most efficient per man and North Selby being the cheapest coal produced in the UK per ton.

As it was North Selby continued until 1998 when it was combined with Stillingfleet. Following problems with faults in the face and whitewalling it was thought uneconomic to work through and Mining on site stopped in 2000. The surface buildings at North Selby were then used for track laying training and other semi industrial activities.

When I visited at the end of 2012 if found a place deserted... but haunted by the promises of its past...

Full Set of photos can be found on my website.

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

11.jpg

15.jpg

17.jpg

19.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

38.jpg

45.jpg

44.jpg

46.jpg

47.jpg

49.jpg

52.jpg

53.jpg

56.jpg

57.jpg

64.jpg

65.jpg

66.jpg

67.jpg

74.jpg

77.jpg

76.jpg

79.jpg

Last edited:

sculptureman

28DL Member
28DL Member
Yep its still there, scary place now though with a bad atmosphere, some of the office rooms have empty bullet cartridges (and they aren't shotgun ones they are proper bullets) its one of those "some one is watching me places" which is strange as it seemed quite normal 5 years ago.