real time web analytics
Report - - North Staffordshire Royal Infirmary, Stoke-on-Trent - February 2020 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - North Staffordshire Royal Infirmary, Stoke-on-Trent - February 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

MotionlessMike

28DL Regular User
Regular User
The North Staffordshire Royal Infirmary’s history can be traced back to1804 when it was just a Dispensary and House of Recovery based in Etruria. In 1819 after outgrowing its original location the hospital moved to a new site located close to Etruria Hall, an area that was densely populated with Shelton Bar, Wedgwood, Etruria Gas Works and various collieries. It was actually all of this surrounding industry that forced the infirmary to relocate once again in 1869 to nearby Hartshill, where it could be up and away from the heavily polluted area of the original buildings. The relocation actually took over 20 years due to constant conflict between the Six Towns as to where it should be sited. This was of course in the days before the towns merged to form the City of Stoke on Trent.

More recently the Royal Infirmary was merged with the nearby Orthopaedic Hospital and City General Hospital to form the University Hospital of North Staffordshire. In 2003 it was determined that under a £350,000,000 PFI development the hospitals would be rebuilt and relocated onto the City General site. Eventually in 2012 after several years of construction, the Royal Infirmary site was finally closed when all services had been relocated.

I never really planned on doing a write-up for this place as we only got round about a third of the site and it therefore feels a bit unfinished. Unfortunately the Victorian infirmary and the nurses block are well nailed shut from the A&E/X-Ray section. We had a go at bypassing the main locked-up corridor, but with security sat in cars around every corner it turned out to be fruitless. I also managed to make a terrible job of photographing the place, I think I literally forgot how to take pictures that day... Maybe the excitement was too much.

Visited with @Gsxrwayne and a non-member.

A&E

Fracture clinic waiting area

Intensive care

Post-op recovery ward

Scrub room

Soggy offices

Haematology ward

Fume cupboards in pathology

Slabless

Chapel of rest

Last edited:

raisinwing

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Been looking forward to seeing your report! You've covered the bits you got into really well, it's certainly looking quite nice in terms of decay nowadays.

Better luck next time on getting over to the other side :P

Salad_Dodger

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I did read somewhere the eye watering amount of money that's been spent on secca, just north of a million quid ...........

Salad_Dodger

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Top notch report that, love seeing pictures of this, can't believe the cost of running secca here tho, really?!

Most of the Royal Infirmary site has been derelict for nearly 7 years, but its still an eye watering amount of public money that could have been used for patient care - never understood why it wasn't cleared soon after all the services moved to the City General Site. I know there is one section that is still live - but the rest just needs dropping and going through a crusher.

Gsxrwayne

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nothing wrong with those pictures mate. It was eerily quiet in the morgue part wasn't it.

jones-y-gog

Putting the fun in dysfunctional
Regular User
Great report that, can't fault the pics either. Seeing this has rekindled my urge to see it - after 3 previous fails.

LordPalpameme

28DL Member
28DL Member
Our little group has been itching to get in there but with the rumoured on site security we don't know of the risk is too high

hiker

28DL Member
28DL Member
Staff still park on the old Royal Infirmary site daily and there are no plans for that to change anytime soon. Good to see the old haematology and pathology pictures

Who has read this thread (Total: 439) View details