real time web analytics
Report - - North Tawton Woollen Mill, Devon - August 2018 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - North Tawton Woollen Mill, Devon - August 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Adzitude

Lost_Property_Devon
28DL Full Member
Visited yesterday with our exploring group from South Devon. Having visited Tonedale a few months ago, we fancied another one mill, having seen how they can hold a real amount of energy and memories in them, even if the machines are long gone. There was more original machinery left in Tonedale, this explore was more left up to the imagination, aside from the area where the river still runs through the site and the wheels were still intact.

The mill has been abandoned since 1994, and it shows. The upper floor to the main building is heavily fire damaged, and part of the roof missing. In one of the smaller buildings the roof has caved in. Surely no part of this can be salvaged. The usual 'turn into flats' idea was floated 2011 and if this is the condition it was in then, I have no idea how they would do it. There has been Mill activity on the site in some form since the 14th century, so the history in some parts would surely be worth investigating further before any renovations or demolitions take place; saying this as it's been over 20 years derelict I guess the nature of the small town means land isn't necessarily prime.

The whole place was very atmospheric. On arriving yesterday it was humid but overcast, the buildings eerie quiet, not even the usual pigeons, leading to the imagination running wild.

There are three main buildings to the site, and a few outbuildings. All heavily overgrown, but all easily accessible. Few onsite keep out signs but nothing major. The mill is on a residential road and one house inparticular looks over the site, but we didn't see anyone the whole few hours we were there.

Photos here; I'm only a beginner when it comes to this (joined the site 3 years ago but only been exploring this year) but hopefully they give some idea of the current state.

IMG_0107.JPG
IMG_0110.JPG
IMG_0115.JPG
IMG_0117.JPG
IMG_0120.JPG
IMG_0128.JPG
IMG_0129.JPG
IMG_0133.JPG
IMG_0142.JPG
IMG_0147.JPG
IMG_0148.JPG
IMG_0152.JPG
IMG_0153.JPG
IMG_0156.JPG

IMG_0161.JPG

Last edited:

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Yup. Good first report. Some of those floors look a bit sketchy! Plenty to see there. Enjoyed that.

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
Been a while since this came up. Not bad for a first report. Maybe add a bit of history to your next one.

Cortinalights

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Oh you got some great photos there, yeah very atmospheric even if there is no machinery, looks like it's someone's chill spot though, but hey be careful on floors like that especially with what looks like pit props, probably means the whole thing is likely to collapse

Adzitude

Lost_Property_Devon
28DL Full Member
Oh you got some great photos there, yeah very atmospheric even if there is no machinery, looks like it's someone's chill spot though, but hey be careful on floors like that especially with what looks like pit props, probably means the whole thing is likely to collapse
It was definitely our most dangerous explore to date. That top floor in the mill is nasty. But leads to an amazing area.

Unknownxo

28DL Member
28DL Member
Me and my friend go there a lot and seeing this 5 years later makes me realise how much it’s changed