real time web analytics
Report - - North Wales Hosptial, Denbigh - February 2020 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - North Wales Hosptial, Denbigh - February 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Joshrowlands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Disclaimer: I don’t do reports very often and all photos are taken on an iPhone. It’s just really to show people who might have never been or are wondering the current state.

History: it’s been done to the death on here so I won’t go in to detail it’s also well documented all over the internet. It opened in 1848 as wales first county asylum for welsh speaking patients and was originally meant to accommodate 200 patients. By the 1950’s it had had many extensions and was holding 1,500 patients with around 1,000 staff. The site had its own farm, occupational workshops, nurses home and social club. Boiler house, canteen,morgue, stores, secure unit and endless wards, it was self contained. I believe the main Victoria’s hospital building closed in 1995 (following care in the community), however a hospital building across the road remained open until 2002. The site was brought and never redeveloped. In 2018 the council finally gained ownership of the site and started a 10 year project to convert it in to a multi use housing scheme with on site security now present.

The explore: I’ve been to Denbigh about 5 times since 2018 and remember when it just to be walk in playground for people. There’s now a full security fence around onsite security because they are doing some plant work at the front. We were in about 15 minutes before we all put our torches down and could see security from 3 floors up looking for us. We decided to continue quietly at first but soon realised security did not seem to be phased and even exited the easy way right next to the cabin with the flood lights on and plant machines, no one came.

The beautiful frontage of the original Victorian building.

Corridor shot in one of the ward extensions

One of the back building ward extensions

One of many linking corridors that linked the various buildings

Just a toilet, but I thought the nature and decay were looking good.

This gives you an idea of how fucked Denbigh is. I’m standing on an upper floor that just stops a room has collapsed and it carries on the other side as normal.

Original locked doors for patient bedrooms, thought this was quite interesting.

A large ward.

The glass staircase in one of the outer wards, completely smashed now and leads to a missing floor.

One of four seclusion cells at the back of a ward. Would this have been padded because of the timber frame and filling? Someone let me know.

A light above the seclusion cell. Not sure if this would have been pressed by the paitent if they needed help or just to let staff know it was occupied?

A lift.

Bars on the windows in one ward.

The beautiful frontage inscription.

Grand entrance to one of the large day rooms off the ward corridor.

Just another corridor in a ward.

No smoking in hospital

Denbigh is truly fucked and there’s nothing significant to see, however just seeing things like the original locked doors and seclusion cells is so interesting and you imagine what went on here when it was a thriving hospital.

Down and beyond

The true source of englands wealth is coal
Regular User
What a shame from the outside is beautiful and then you get to the inside trashed , good post though worth a read and look

Joshrowlands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
What a shame from the outside is beautiful and then you get to the inside trashed , good post though worth a read and look
Yeah there’s so much detail in the Victorian architecture. Such a shame it was left so long and most of the buildings will be demo’d.

Joshrowlands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Poor ol' NWH - at least you didn't have any bother from rogue security guards!
I know, she’s had her day and it’s a shame if it was looked after from closure it could of been converted in to a lovely development. The guards were on to us within 20 mins of being there 2 of them but then we were in there another hour not being discreet and they were not interested haha we were hoping they’d invite us in the cabin for a brew it was freezing!

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Always nice to see an update personally. I’m sure the usual suspect will be along to say how shit it is shortly.

Re padded cell - that is a fake one from when Most Haunted did a week long special in the place back in late 2008 - made out of loft insulation. They did have cells back in day but removed back in 1950-60s

Joshrowlands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Always nice to see an update personally. I’m sure the usual suspect will be along to say how shit it is shortly.

Re padded cell - that is a fake one from when Most Haunted did a week long special in the place back in late 2008 - made out of loft insulation. They did have cells back in day but removed back in 1950-60s
No way I didn’t know that most haunted did that whilst they were there. Who even gave them permission to go in there for a week and how was it signed off from a safety point haha.

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
No way I didn’t know that most haunted did that whilst they were there. Who even gave them permission to go in there for a week and how was it signed off from a safety point haha.

The current owners at the time let them - they used the hall for the main presentation of show then ambled around the site at night. They made various horrendous shit things like a fake padded cell, fake mortuary slab etc. You can still find it on YouTube.

Two weeks after the show the hall was torched.

Joshrowlands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The current owners at the time let them - they used the hall for the main presentation of show then ambled around the site at night. They made various horrendous shit things like a fake padded cell, fake mortuary slab etc. You can still find it on YouTube.

Two weeks after the show the hall was torched.
Bit suss that

Joshrowlands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Well like most of the fires given the ownership at the time. Somehow the hall gets delisted but huge uproar and the a week later it’s toast.. standard situation for NWH
Is that generally because the hall would be hard to convert to housing?

Who has read this thread (Total: 345) View details