real time web analytics
Report - - North Weald Mobilisation Centre and Ongar Radio - 8 Oct 2009 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - North Weald Mobilisation Centre and Ongar Radio - 8 Oct 2009

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

caiman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
A solo visit to this interesting location - well actually two sites but they merge.

North Weald Mobilisation Centre is the most northerly of a series of Palmerston Forts that were built between 1889 and 1903 as part of the London Defence Scheme. They were primarily intended as stores for small weapons, ammunition and military tools though were capable of being equipped with large guns should the need arise.

The site and much of the surrounding land was bought by Marconi in 1920 to use for Ongar Radio Station. Ongar Radio Station went through several phases of development as technologies changed but was abandoned in the early 1990s and for the most part subsequently demolished.

The site has become progressively more derelict and is now frankly a mess, though regular flooding has kept some areas relatively free from graffiti.

So, on with the visit. I started at the back and worked through to the front, and so that is broadly the order of the pics.

This area has been heavily trashed and the remains of a small fire was still burning.

001.jpg

006.jpg

Some very substantial brackets. Ammunition or gun racks?

007.jpg

Issue hatch?

005.jpg

Moving to the south, this is one of the two Alan Williams turrets. These would have been equipped with a machine gun or anti tank gun. Most were scrapped after the war ended. Behind it is the outer defence ditch.

010.jpg

This area seems to have been adapted as a store for spares for the radio station, hence the large number of insulators of various sizes and also cable drums. The hot summer has dried the place out and there is currently no flooding.

011.jpg

Cable drum.

013.jpg

Insulators.

014.jpg

And more insulators.

015.jpg

Bridge over the surrounding defence ditch.

018.jpg

I then went on to have a poke around the buildings on the other side.

A boiler?

019.jpg

Switchgear, and a hand pump - looks similar to those used in the ROC posts?

020.jpg

At this point, a man appeared and stopped me - a photo shoot was going on and those involved thought it better that I did not intrude.... ;) I had earlier seen a girl wandering around that area and had wondered what was going on as she was not exactly dressed for exploration.

So, outside and a last shot showing the base of one of the transmitter masts. The fields around have many of these large concrete blocks, originally used to anchor the wire stays that held the masts upright.

021.jpg