real time web analytics
Report - - North Weald Redoubt..Essex September 2019 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - North Weald Redoubt..Essex September 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Me and man gone wrong were near here and I have never been before. It's a bit trashed but I like Victorian military installations. So it's always nice to visit one and one as intact as this.
With the threat of invasion in the 1800's, with a growing naval threat from France. It was decided to build a defence system around the south east and eastern areas of the countries. This was more of a contingency plan. So basically a stop line was built to cover the country from Surrey around the western side of London and then around too Essex. The stop line must be thought off as a good system, as they basically built a stop line during world war two with pillboxes, barbed wire, concrete tank traps, etc. Fifteen of these these mobilisation centres were built surrounding London to protect the capital. These were all designed along a similar design with the main buildings sunken below ground level with ramparts and spiked fences. At North Weald there is the standard casemates and artillery stores. These are reinforced buildings sitting at the front with other buildings at the rear. The fort was completed in 1904, it was reused during the first world war but was sold in 1919 to Marconi wireless telegraph company. It was used by several companies over the years. During the second world war it was taken over my the government. I did see an Allen Williams turret there, these are quite rare now to see. In 1950 the site was sold to the GPO and the site became disused in the early 90s. Due to the site not being manned permantly there is a caretaker cottage nearby and external stores. These I think still survive or the stores anyway.
We were quite lucky because it's set in a dip the casemates and that are normally extremely flooded out. But after a very dry summer it had dried out considerably allowing us access into most of it.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
I like it here, I too only eventually made it here at the beginning of last year. I've never seen it as dry as in your photos though.

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
Nice shots, dare I say I quite liked the HDR. A classic place I didn't get round to seeing for years either, and is a real unique gem even if a bit heavily graffitied

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Looks a nice ramble. I must be honest, I haven't tried this one. I really would like too. As I missed out most of Tilbury when over there, I think a double would be nice if dry enough. Got to do research now, damn to find it lol. :thumb

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice shots, dare I say I quite liked the HDR. A classic place I didn't get round to seeing for years either, and is a real unique gem even if a bit heavily graffitied
Yeah you dare say it ha ha. It's not everyone's cup of tea and I do try to keep it minimal. You should try see it. Wait for a dry spell though

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Looks a nice ramble. I must be honest, I haven't tried this one. I really would like too. As I missed out most of Tilbury when over there, I think a double would be nice if dry enough. Got to do research now, damn to find it lol. :thumb
You should give it a go if near by. It's an interesting site to wander about. But yeah deffo try when a bit drier

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
Yeah you dare say it ha ha. It's not everyone's cup of tea and I do try to keep it minimal. You should try see it. Wait for a dry spell though
Defo a bit of a gem. I did manage to get round to it about two years back and I had to brave the rear section in waders! Not the smoothest aha