real time web analytics
Report - - Northamptonshire Iron Mine - Kettering - Sep 2008 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Northamptonshire Iron Mine - Kettering - Sep 2008

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

J

j4cko

It took me and a mate weeks of research to find this place, but after numerous stinging nettle rashes we found it, and what a find! It is an Iron Ore mine, closed in 1927 and hasnt been touched since. The first entrance we found had been bricked up and our hearts sank, but a short walk further along the rock face and someone had kindly put a hole in the brickwork on the next entrance. The pictures arent brilliant and we didnt go into the mine too far, as it wasnt a particularly safe place- We were really pleased to have found this at last, as i havent seen any reports of other people being in it, or even knowing where it is. This place is absolutely massive, we stood at the end of one of the tunnels with a lamp with a 1km range on it and that didnt get anywhere near the end.... Also there is a strong breeze that flows out of the hole, obviously this can be to do with pressure differences, but by amount of air coming out i would say it has to be vented somewhere, if not another entrance

IMG_2354.jpg

IMG_2358.jpg

IMG_2359.jpg

IMG_2361.jpg

IMG_2362.jpg

IMG_2370.jpg

IMG_2371.jpg

IMG_2369.jpg

IMG_2368.jpg

IMG_2367.jpg

IMG_2366.jpg

IMG_2364.jpg

IMG_2363.jpg

IMG_2372.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
B

brixmis

I visited this mine a few years back, if its the one im thinking of its not far from the A14, through the village of the same name and its on the left?

We also had a bit of trouble finding the entrance, when I got there there was only one brick removed, my mate and I spent a couple of hours enlarging the hole, when we got in and wandered off, I started to feel light headed, we tried to light a candle to see how much oxygen there was, it wouldnt light, we returned to the entrance and got out.

I guess you know about the other mine just accross the road, much better and many more artifacts. I have scanned a couple of photos, you might be interested in:
2928420155_4958edb612_o.jpg

Notice the air control curtains at the end where the mine dips and the water level comes up.
2929281626_cba05f0fb8_o.jpg

A few tools near to the entrance, I think the brick is just a support.
2928420345_ace0da3985_o.jpg

A few explosives tins and a shovel.
Most of my photos were crap and didnt come out, Ive got a bit better since then!
There was a Farmers Phesant breeding area near to the entrance, well hiding it really. PM if you want a flash earth link to the approimate location.

I would suggest getting the book about the areas Iron Stone Mines, its on Amazon.

Lots of others listed in the book, some are only surface features but some are underground.

If you go back I wouldnt mind coming along?

Cheers
BRIX

pgnorris

28DL Member
28DL Member
I visited this mine a few years back, if its the one im thinking of its not far from the A14, through the village of the same name and its on the left?

We also had a bit of trouble finding the entrance, when I got there there was only one brick removed, my mate and I spent a couple of hours enlarging the hole, when we got in and wandered off, I started to feel light headed, we tried to light a candle to see how much oxygen there was, it wouldnt light, we returned to the entrance and got out.

I guess you know about the other mine just accross the road, much better and many more artifacts. I have scanned a couple of photos, you might be interested in:
2928420155_4958edb612_o.jpg

Notice the air control curtains at the end where the mine dips and the water level comes up.
2929281626_cba05f0fb8_o.jpg

A few tools near to the entrance, I think the brick is just a support.
2928420345_ace0da3985_o.jpg

A few explosives tins and a shovel.
Most of my photos were crap and didnt come out, Ive got a bit better since then!
There was a Farmers Phesant breeding area near to the entrance, well hiding it really. PM if you want a flash earth link to the approimate location.

I would suggest getting the book about the areas Iron Stone Mines, its on Amazon.

Lots of others listed in the book, some are only surface features but some are underground.

If you go back I wouldnt mind coming along?

Cheers
BRIX
Its been a long time and I don't know if you are still involved but I would like to make contact with you please. Regards Peter

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
Its been a long time and I don't know if you are still involved but I would like to make contact with you please. Regards Peter
Neither of them are members any more so unlikely to respond

Yorkey

28DL Member
28DL Member
I'm really interested in this place, I have been researching and searching and have had no luck except some loverly walks I didn't know were there around the area I live. If anyone is happy to share ay tips or help a girl out, I would be really thankful.

DaveFM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Looks a good find, its lucky there was air flow from the mine as iron mines can be low in oxygen quite often I think.