Web
Analytics
Report - - Northdene House, London, Jan 8th 2021 | Residential Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Northdene House, London, Jan 8th 2021

theurbexcouple

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Explore:
Hey guys Holly and John here, hope you all enjoyed your Xmas and New Years celebrations. Me and my fiancé John found this amazing property late last night. So, of course we had to have a nose around and see what the property entailed. When we got inside it was very eerie for sure, what with it being night time, but exploring the place was awesome!!! Access was pretty easy to find if you know where to look and how to get in. There was no security but only neighboring houses opposite and beside the house which which we were aware of and kept it quiet so we didn't alert them

This house was huge for sure!! It is set out in 3 floors which all looked like they were self contained flats plus it had a attic and a basement. The bedrooms and bathrooms in this place were amazing, even though it was trashed and there was graffiti by vandals, it didn't put us off our exploring. The top part of the house looked very modern and new. Even though me and my fiancé John got bombarded by pigeons lol but we kept out of there way. They pretty much have taken over the house by making it nasty with there poop all over the floor. The bottom part of the house was more old style and seemed more old fashioned than the rest of the house. The attic was jam packed with old possessions of the previous residents who used to live at this property. From what we could see, there was a few mannequins dotted around which may have suggested one of the residents did fashion work and we fount some art painting portfolios from a possible university student who lived here too. The basement was huge!! It covered mainly the whole bottom of the house, felt like it kept going and going. Had a few things in there, like water boiler, fuse box and a few old trinkets. Down here, we also fount a small cubby hole which had a set of stairs leading upwards but didn't know where it led too as didn't get a chance to go in there!! But, if we go here again, we definitely will go in there for sure to see what's there :) that being said, in the day time too.

We then ventured outside to see whether we could see anything else on the property and we did. We come across a metal garage which was jam packed with possessions and furniture from the house which was pretty difficult to access but could only stand from the entrance and kind of look in as far as we could. As we exited off the property, I spotted the car under a big mound of bushes and thorns, which was pretty awesome to find. It may have been from a previous resident were not sure!!

Me and my fiancé John spent pretty much 2 hours in this house pretty much undisturbed with no distractions, other than the the pigeons being idiots lol and scaring us both :) We both had to wear our masks because the mold and asbestos in this place was absolutely crawling with it which made it difficult to breathe sometimes. We walked around, trying to avoid the spiders which were covering most of the banisters, which they were covered in white kind of moss stuff. These things are actually Zombie spiders that are basically covered in fungus that takes over there bodies!! Nasty stuff eww....

The only history we could find was pretty much from many planning applications which looked like some of them fell through but me and my fiancé John were quite shocked at how there was nothing else really that we could find out more about this property.

History:
The history of this place shows that it is a Victorian era house. The house was first in use in 1934 and that one of the flats had been in constant use since the 1950s. It doesnt appear to show whether it was just one whole property as this is not clear, as currently it is clearly split into different flats.

A local resident stated he had been into house once 21 years ago and once about 4 or 5 years ago after theives broke in to the place and took some stuff. The property was the same layout at both previous visited times by the resident and he believed that it was originally 6 flats but cant confirm this. The property was definitely partitioned off on the ground floor with a flat either side and a long corridor from the front door to the rear staircase. This is to believe each floor was converted into a flat from either side.

Northdene has been unoccupied and abandoned for atleast a decade or more, and has not been used in the past 4 years, continuously or at all. It is understood a few years ago the property was raided by thieves without raising alarm. But, this would have been impossible had the house been occupied, particularly as 5 self-contained flats.

Other information we found about Northdene shows that it does not seem to have been used as self-contained flats since 1981 or near to this time. 1970s electoral register records shows various voters in up to 5 separately identified flats which none are recorded between 1982 and 1987 or after 2002. More entries listings are simply against North Dene and not listed as individual separate flats. However, the amounts of clothing left behind in the rooms didn’t indicate fashion from the 1980s and looked more from around the 90s/00s.

Various planning applications have been refused over time, one of which was to change to a 21 x 2 bedroom flat 3 storey building after complete demolition of the current building but got refused. But, most recent application shows there was a “Erection of a three-storey side extension to existing building to create 2no. two-bedroom units and 1no. one-bedroom unit, internal refurbishment works to the existing building, and the erection of 3no. dwellings with associated works” which has also been refused. -Hope you all enjoy the photos of our exploration and if you have been here before, let us know if you have :) plus photos were credited to my fiancé John as he took them all :)-

sirjonnyp

28DL Regular User
Regular User
A lot going on here. First up, most of your pictures are orientated wrong - the portrait photos need to be rotated. You also need to remove the watermark from the pictures - we don't need to know what your phone is. A few of your photos are shite regardless of which way around they are, and the trashed property doesn't really merit that many poorly lit photos. Consider a cheap camera / tripod set up in the future, it'll improve the quality of pictures that you take immensely.

Redavni Ecaps

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
If my phone did that id be taking it right back to the shop.

Also don't take photos in portrait mode, it offends me and my iMac!

theurbexcouple

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
A lot going on here. First up, most of your pictures are orientated wrong - the portrait photos need to be rotated. You also need to remove the watermark from the pictures - we don't need to know what your phone is. A few of your photos are shite regardless of which way around they are, and the trashed property doesn't really merit that many poorly lit photos. Consider a cheap camera / tripod set up in the future, it'll improve the quality of pictures that you take immensely.
Yea I know lol thanks for that. Plus we took pics with the phone portrait. So don't know why they came out landscape, oops sorry my bad lol. We're still in the land of new urbex but for sure were on the road to get a camera. So mistakes can be made but it doesn't affect it much for the content :) thanks for the heads up though :)

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Firstly thank you for posting & welcome to 28DL. Your format is right just execution is not what we expected.

I wont post a link on how to do a report as its all there. But please take on board what @sirjonnyp has said. Exploring at night, in dark places, you need a good torch, but day time is better as torches at night draw attention.

The photos in general are good but do need rotating, and editing, a copyright is ok, but that whole Samsung thing, not so much. Choose the best of your photos to showcase your explore.

This is all a constructive critique. We dont want to scare people away, I hope you dont take it any other way than how its meant. Keep at this wonderful hobby

theurbexcouple

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Firstly thank you for posting & welcome to 28DL. Your format is right just execution is not what we expected.

I wont post a link on how to do a report as its all there. But please take on board what @sirjonnyp has said. Exploring at night, in dark places, you need a good torch, but day time is better as torches at night draw attention.

The photos in general are good but do need rotating, and editing, a copyright is ok, but that whole Samsung thing, not so much. Choose the best of your photos to showcase your explore.

This is all a constructive critique. We dont want to scare people away, I hope you dont take it any other way than how its meant. Keep at this wonderful hobby
No me and my fiance are fully aware of this. We're both still kinda new at doing the whole urbex thing so we're still new at all this. But getting a DSLR camera in next few days. So next explore and report we do will be much more better. Sometimes you have to make mistakes to learn as you go but appreciate everyone's help. Thank you
Holly & John :)

alex17595

Down t'pit
28DL Full Member
It's always easier to rotate thing through a proper computer, some sites just don't recognise the correct orientation on mobile images.

Also as said the watermark thing isn't great.

----------------------------------------------------------
Posted using Firefox on my Galaxy S8

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
No me and my fiance are fully aware of this. We're both still kinda new at doing the whole urbex thing so we're still new at all this. But getting a DSLR camera in next few days. So next explore and report we do will be much more better. Sometimes you have to make mistakes to learn as you go but appreciate everyone's help. Thank you
Holly & John :)
Great to hear about the DSLR, yep we all make mistakes, but you are aware and fixing them. Great your posting, look forward to seeing your results with your new camera. Im still getting to know mine lol, we seem to learn constantly in this field, but first and foremost we are an exploring forum, not photography, so I dont worry too much my photos are not the best, I wish they were lol

Down and beyond

From the land of the pillar and stall
Regular User
As Jane said, a decent find but Id get yourself back in daylight!
Of course there is a bit of an issue with exploring at all at the moment but assuming this is close to you I dont see an issue, good effort

Oh & do invest in a tripod for your slr it will still be difficult to photograph in dark places without
you need to get yourself a tripod that’s level last time I saw yours it was on a 45• angle in clay

Bu&Yo

28DL Member
28DL Member
Wow, some people here are somewhat rude... Yes, the pictures could have been rotated and improved, but you put a fair bit of effort into writing this post, doing research and uploading all of this for others to see. So consequently what you actually should hear is THANKS for the share... :) That house is what nightmares are made of. Like the funny twisted ceiling lamp best :D

admin

Administrator
Admin
Wow, some people here are somewhat rude... Yes, the pictures could have been rotated and improved, but you put a fair bit of effort into writing this post, doing research and uploading all of this for others to see. So consequently what you actually should hear is THANKS for the share... :) That house is what nightmares are made of. Like the funny twisted ceiling lamp best :D
Agreed, but do remember opinions are subjective and in this instance I tend to agree with some of the 'feedback' given :thumb