real time web analytics
Information - - Noteworthy Reports | Noteworthy Reports | Page 3 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Information - Noteworthy Reports

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
I think we should avoid people nominating their own reports to go in really ;) . A few weird ones have snuck in already that don't seem to fit the definition.

Its supposed to be for reports of really exceptional stuff or exploring, old 'first' reports from places that became really popular or well known (battersea for example) or reports that are a bit special or have had loads of effort put in (Dweebs mill one there even tho he did nominate it himself :p)

I don't see why things like earls court are particularly noteworthy.

I don't see why people can't nominate their own reports to be honest. Why do you think that, out of interest?

We all have different interpretations and preferences over what is exceptional too, don't we? So it open to debate about what is 'noteworthy' and what is not, I guess.

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Because we would be flooded with people nominating their stuff just so they can have it in the 'cool kids' section. That wasn't the point of having this section it was supposed to be a way of preserving a bit of UE history and avoiding loosing all the stories of yesteryear to the gaping black hole of the internet. Of course its a little subjective what is special or not but im not a fan of having people pop up and asking to have their reports in for little reason other then its a decent explore, there's decent explores posted every week..

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
Because we would be flooded with people nominating their stuff just so they can have it in the 'cool kids' section. That wasn't the point of having this section it was supposed to be a way of preserving a bit of UE history and avoiding loosing all the stories of yesteryear to the gaping black hole of the internet. Of course its a little subjective what is special or not but im not a fan of having people pop up and asking to have their reports in for little reason other then its a decent explore, there's decent explores posted every week..

I don't think this is plastered with people trying to nominate things at all. I imagine far more people feel they can't contribute to this section. As far as I was aware this area of the forum is to preserve history, as is the rest of the forum. For a lot of people, this is why they get involved in UE. Taking your point into consideration, no matter what you do things will inevitably get lost to history, even with a condensed section such as this. I don't think that should prevent people from offering their contributions in any way though.

sirjonnyp

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I agree with your point here Speed because self-nomination is never flattering (quite cringe in most cases), and when this section was set up it was supposed to be for exactly what you outlined. However when something like earls court comes along, which is pretty cool (note of conflicting interests - was there the first night of that report) - why not stick something like that in here? It was a first, a cultural icon. You can apply those terms to a lot of places, so if it's a good sight, a first, and a good report, this should be the place for it? I seem to remember that EC was moved straight here as soon as it went up, so there wasn't much debate over it.

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
I agree with your point here Speed because self-nomination is never flattering (quite cringe in most cases), and when this section was set up it was supposed to be for exactly what you outlined. However when something like earls court comes along, which is pretty cool (note of conflicting interests - was there the first night of that report) - why not stick something like that in here? It was a first, a cultural icon. You can apply those terms to a lot of places, so if it's a good sight, a first, and a good report, this should be the place for it? I seem to remember that EC was moved straight here as soon as it went up, so there wasn't much debate over it.

:D

m9

big in japan
Regular User
We all have different interpretations and preferences over what is exceptional too, don't we?

..which is exactly why you shouldn't be able to nominate your own reports. Also, you don't really know what's gonna be a time tested classic without a bit of temporal distance. Have another look in 6-12 months maybe?

Maniac

rebmeM LD82
Regular User
Must point out guys that it does say on the first post "It is perfectly acceptable to nominate your own"

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
Must point out guys that it does say on the first post "It is perfectly acceptable to nominate your own"

Was just about to say that. If you guys aren't happy, maybe a change in the rules is in order?

m9

big in japan
Regular User

Yeah, just makes you look a daft though doesn't it? It's nice when people say 'we all thought this was really cool, and I think it deserves setting apart because lots of other people will probably want to see it'. Which is how I think things should end up here. Some sort of appreciation of coolness or importance from the wider group.

But putting your own shit forward is basically saying 'I think I'm really cool, and I think loads of people will want to see my shit, especially as it will give me some validation in the world of 28DL".

We have our own websites and just regular reports for showing off. That oil boat was really cool, but by rabbiting on about the fact it's a timeless classic that deserves preserving in the annals of umbecks history I'm starting to loose interest.

For the record, there probably a few things in here I wouldn't have chosen, but it's not my website.

OT - what do you think? It's your call mate.

Last edited:

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
That oil boat was really cool, but by rabbiting on about the fact it's a timeless classic that deserves preserving in the annals of umbecks history I'm starting to loose interest.

What rabbiting about it being a timeless classic?

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
I think the only one i nominated of my own was the Pyestock report which never actually got put in but that was more out of necessity of trying to find a 'good' old pyestock report than thinking my explore was really great (even tho it was at the time lol). If we are nominating our own stuff just because we think we have done a good explore/report then im afraid im gonna flood the thread with 100s of nominations as im an arrogant bastard and know ive done 100s of good explores and reports over the years.. That wasn't the point of the section tho, its supposed to be out of the ordinary stuff not just good stuff ;)

Anyway, i think Adders's stadium thing should go in and There was a good gasholder report that covered loads of them a few months ago too. Both a bit more than your normal report with a bit more than one nights effort put in.

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
Implied by wanting to put it in here.

Much of this discussion is assumptive really then isn't it. I guessed I would receive this sort of reaction ;) Good to know a little more about the 'unspoken rules' between you guys, although they are a bit contradictory since I've seen people nominate their own reports in here without receiving this much stick. But, it's good to provoke a friendly debate from time to time don't you think?

I guess the intro at the beginning should be changed given the strong views most of you hold?

Who has read this thread (Total: 501) View details